Ramshorn and Bladder snail explosion. Eggs everywhere!

1. SamHD Initiate Member

Hi, My tank is very nearly (fishless) cycled. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a couple of little snails, which I have identified as acute bladder snails, which must have come in on my java moss and/or fern.

I decided to leave them be, as my nitrate was really high so I decided they were little survivors! About 4 days ago I noticed a couple of little egg sacks. I tried to scrape them off, but couldn't really remove them as they were too small.

Today I noticed some tiny little flat discs moving about, which I'm pretty sure are Ramshorn snails. I had a closer look and they are everywhere! Not only that, but there are egg sacks attached to everything!

What can I do about this, if anything? I put some cucumber in the bottom of the tank to entice a few, but they're just gliding over it.

I haven't even got fish in there yet, and there is definitely no room for a clown loach! What if they all die and start rotting in the tank?

2. BonBon Member Member

Get an assassin snail. He will eat the babies and even small adults.

3. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Do several snail traps with a small water bottle with no cap and an algae wafer or fresh veg. That will entice them. Just keep removing them until theyre all gone.

4. BonBon Member Member

That works too... :)

5. SamHD Initiate Member

I'm not sure about getting an assassin snail. The tank is in my 7 year old sons bedroom and he's a sensitive soul. He loves watching the snails, and I can imagine the horror when he realises that the snails aren't 'kissing'!
    :jawdrop:

Not sure if I can find a bottle small enough, but will see if I can find one.

Thanks for the advice.

6. BonBon Member Member

:giggle:Yeah, don't do that to your son.

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know of a way to completely get rid of them. I leave a veggie for my mystery snails and sometimes I'll see a few ramshorn snails on them the next day which I remove and then I also pick them out as I see them. Doing this regularly has kept the population down as I only see about a handful each week but still, they don't ever go away completely it seems.

8. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes get a bottle ( see pic ) to trap and remove as needed.

Please do not get an assassin snail as they TOO BREED and lay a ton of eggs that will soon be pests in themselves! Plus they need a carnivorous - steady diet.

You can either tear down the tank and start over or trap them and keep removing as needed.

snail trap.jpg

9. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

I personally can't stand snails because of the way they can take over a tank. Personally I would just break the whole tank down and start from scratch, cleaning every inch of the tank, decorations, and getting rid of the gravel, replacing with new.
    Or this can be a great reason to get another tank, and keep the current one a snail tank for your son. With the new tank, depending on what kind of fish you get, they could have a steady diet of baby snail snacks.

10. octavio Member Member

There is a product called Snail Cleaner that is perfect for you if you haven't put any fish in your aquarium. It's strong stuff. Does not hurt plants. And it gets rid of all flat worms, snails, hydras, leech nematodes, etc. It will require that you change water after a week and not add fish to your tank until after a few more partial water changes. And it will not cause an ammonia spike because of a bunch of dead snails. I used this as a last resort to eliminate an overwhelming population of several different species of snails in my 75 gallon tank. Fish are now doing just fine. The only place I know where to buy it is from eBay.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snail-Clean...0L-/271098298802?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Good luck.

11. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I've started taking a toothbrush and using that to pick up the egg sacs. Doesn't work so well on live plants, but it great for pulling them off the glass.

12. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I would use a razorblade ( if its on the glass ) or toothbrush on ornaments etc and have the gravel vac handy to suck them up after you have loosen them up. Rinse and repeat. Might take a few times and use a bottle trap along with it.

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ghost shrimp seem to be really good at eating eggs and baby snails and keeping the population in check;)

14. SamHD Initiate Member

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated. At the moment it seems like quite a few of them are being sucked into the filter! I've scraped some off the glass and am sucking them up with a turkey baster!! Hopefully i'll make a significant dent in the population. My new betta has been having a chew on a few as well!