Rams?

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am going to get either German blue or German gold rams. I am cycling right now. I have read that these fish are very particular. The good news is that they like soft water which I have. Does anyone have any tips, and are they as difficult as they say?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only ways they are difficult is that they need very clean water and can be very aggresive when spawning. I enjoyed my Blue rams more as they had more color.
Carol

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So does that mean that I would just have to keep on on weekly water changes/gravel vac and make sure the filter is A-OK? Or is there anything more to do to ensure super clean water???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all of your help-- I can't wait until I can get the Rams. I think I am going to get the Blue-- they are available at one of the LFS around here. I could order the gold, but we'll see. I love fish with personality. Right now I have tetras to get the cycle started-- they are boring. I added 2 albino cory cats, one of them is soo funny. I might add one more a little later as I here 3 is a better number. I hope I don't lose any fish during the cycle, but if I have to, I hope it isn't the corys.

ndambros

Reaction score
Hi,

If you are trying to get an idea of the environment for keeping Rams, they are a highly recommended tankmate for Discus. So, the same, or similar conditions for Discus would also suit RAMS.

I've been out of the hobby for a while. I was heavily involved with saltwater aquariums for several years. I'm just getting back into the hobby and am planning on keeping discus in a planted aquarium. I'm waiting for my tank to arrive (46 gallon Acrylic bow front).

If you'd like to see some really beautiful Rams, go to www.discusmadness.co. He is the breeder (fairly local so I can pick them up - no shipping) that I will be dealing with once my tank is setup. He breeds discus and rams. They are quite outstanding!

I hope this helps!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
link doesn't work. need to add an m at the end of co then it works
They had beautiful discus and rams.
Carol

ndambros

Reaction score
OOPS! Sorry about that.

Any Discus experts out there? I've got well water in my home and was wondering if this is going to pose any problems with keeping discus. PH around 7.4 - 7.6. However, Total Hardness is around 120 ppm. Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom