Rams with shrimp?

Riggsrg4

Reaction score
Hi I have a 75 gallon heavily planted aquarium. I have recently put 4 young german rams In there hoping they will pair off and breed when they get bigger. I was also going to buy some apistogramma to put in there as well. I was wondering if I would be able to keep shrimp in this tank as well. I was thinking maybe even the shrimp would breed and the rams would keep the shrimp population under control. Will the adult shrimp be able to live alongside german rams and apistogrammas ?

Cale24

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can be done but no guarantees. If the rams are small, the tank is large and there's enough plant coverage then the shrimp (assuming neocaridina) could do fine. Amanos that are big enough are not really an issue, but I have seen many examples of tanks with both. The rams will likely predate on the babies though.
I added a few wild shrimp to a 2ft ram tank (one adult pair) and they all permanently hide in the plants, which are fairly dense. I see their molts so know they're around though.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive seen rams and apistos hint down adult shrimp but ive also seen them live alongside eachother. Be careful with how you introduce the shrimp so it doesnt seem like food and make sure you have dense plants and moss for them to hide in. Let us know how it goes.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea but i don't think i'll try shrimp with angelfishes ;) Ok Ok not really relevant but still something to think about; one thing to be mentioned is it depends a bit on your tank landscape. Tanks with good hiding places or dense bottom plants will do a lot better when mixing aggressive fishes with shrimp; but if your tank is bare bottom or just substrate then even the rams are likely to have a good time chasing down the shrimps.
--
You probably know this but you also want a shrimp that does well at high temperature. Quite a few types of shrimp prefer cooler temps. A lot of folks seem to recommend 82-84 for rams - i keep mine at 81. So something to consider when you pick out your shrimp.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
From what I have seen it’s possible to keep a small colony of cherry shrimp with apistogrammas and rams . In my tanks the shrimp just barely keep their numbers up. Most of the time hiding. I have seen shrimp that have grown up in a ram only tank become bold and be out in the open all day. It’s Not going to happen with apistogrammas from what I have seen.
Obviously the more hideouts like moss the better but with apistogrammas you will not see the adult shrimp .
i raise baby apistogrammas fry in tanks of very overcrowded cherry shrimp so have a pretty good idea of what happens. Wick wick.

When doing a water change into a white bucket you inevitably catch a few shrimp. It’s very difficult to toss the shrimp back into the tank as the fish think you are feeding them . Tossing onto moss or a mass of floating plants is still no guarantee the shrimp will get back to a safe place.

New Threads