Rams slaughering each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all,

I had a breeding pair of GBRs that had spawned a couple times since we got them from the store. The male started being pretty aggressive towards the female, so I went and purchased another female to try to keep his interests divided. Long story short, the first female died from a pretty big gash in her side, the second female killed the male, and then the second female was killed by a third female that we got to replace the first. This has been pretty unexpected, and happened within two days or so (the fish would have a fatal wound in the morning unexpectedly). We are concluding that the culprits are the above based on the behavior that they exhibited during the day, but I suppose it could be a secretly homocidal pleco or tetra (or amano shrimp).

I have a heavily planted 30 gallon with lots of hiding space. Is it time to give up on having more than one ram in the tank?

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What a burn, I had a ram with a gash on its side that died shortly after like yours. I at once had 3 rams, now I only have one that seems to like to try and pick on my new discus.
I wouldn't say give up...but rams are such a gamble, sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't. And after a while of them killing eachother, they get expensive to replace. If I were you, I would just get a gourami and be done with it. Rams are beautiful fish, but can get super annoying with their mood swings

OP
F

Friendlyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone. I think the ram will have to stay solo in the tank for a while. I heard that they do not get along with gouramis though. I won't try mixing them unless I get people telling me that they have successfully done it.

Best,

FF

KristinAnn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you breed rams in a tank that has gouramis in it?

I have hear that you can't with tetras because the tetras are too fast and will get fry despite the parents' best efforts.

Friendlyfish- I don't actually have GBR, just have been doing my research in prep of maybe getting some. But I hear that sometimes males do this during the spawn, and that the female may have to be moved to a different tank a few days after the fry become free swimming to avoid aggression. Maybe something like this happened? He also likely wasn't paired with the later added females, and males will often fight with females they are not bonded to, so that could be another problem you had.

dking271

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have kept and bred Rams for years. First and foremost, they are cichlids and often times behave just like cichlids. I have had males that were introduced to 4 different females until thye found one they would accept. I have had other pairs that needed to be separated after each spawn. Some liked having multiple females and some did not. They can and often do get aggressive, to the point of death. This is one of the main reasons, I like to have a tank ready in case I need to separate aggressive fish.

I am sorry your fish are attacking one another. They are fun little fish with plenty of personality. Keep trying, once you get a good pair, you'll never be without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom