Rams losing color?

1. The McCormicks Initiate Member

:( Does anyone know about Rams (fish not snails)? I got two of them and everything has been going okay except trying to stay away from the crayfish and I noticed that the littler one has lost almost all of her(?) black. She had a black spot on each side and one thin stripe through her eye and a lighter one behind that. she was even getting a rosey color on her tummy and a few bright blue scales. Now it's almost all gone. Im not sure what to do. The bigger one was getting lots of orange and black and scales of blue and purple. He is starting to loose some too. He still has the black spot and some orange but his stripes are now fading. Not sure whats going on? ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

My guess would be either water parameters or stress from having to avoid mr. crayfish. Rams are more sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels, so if they aren't perfect, this could be causing the problem. Mr. craysfish may not be chasing your rams around the tank, but if he gets half a chance, he will catch and eat your rams, especially at night when they are sleeping. Let us know what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are please. ;)

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have rams and they are very sensitive to Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Also fluctuations in temp and ph. hope that helps.
    Carol