55 Gallon Tank Rams laid eggs?!?

• Thread starter freshwaterninja
  • Start date

freshwaterninja

Howdy,

I just introduced a pair of rams to my 55 gallon tank a couple of days ago. Today, I noticed the male being very aggressive to any fish that came to the right side of the tank. I did a water change today, and noticed eggs on my amazon swords. Are these ram eggs? What do I do?

Attachments

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Looks like it. I would just leave them in there because you’ll likely get more in a few weeks when you can be more prepared if you want to raise them.

freshwaterninja

jkkgron2 said:
Looks like it. I would just leave them in there because you’ll likely get more in a few weeks when you can be more prepared if you want to raise them.
Will they hatch? Do I need to cut the leaf off and throw it away? They're being very territorial towards the other fish in the tank, so should I separate them?

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
freshwaterninja said:
Will they hatch? Do I need to cut the leaf off and throw it away? They're being very territorial towards the other fish in the tank, so should I separate them?
They could hatch. But Chances are if this is their first time they’ll just eat the eggs. As long as they aren’t actually hurting the other fish I think you can leave them.

freshwaterninja

jkkgron2 said:
jkkgron2 said:
They could hatch. But Chances are if this is their first time they’ll just eat the eggs. As long as they aren’t actually hurting the other fish I think you can leave them.
Sounds good. Do you know what could have triggered this? I didn't think I had close to the right water parameters for them to spawn. Are they stressed?

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Sounds good. Do you know what could have triggered this? I didn't think I had close to the right water parameters for them to spawn. Are they stressed?
[/QUOTE]
The opposite actually. I think you’re doing great! They wouldn’t breed unless they felt comfortable so I’d say that you must be keeping them in a great environment!

jmaldo

Well Known
Congrats!
Most "New" Ram pair owners are amazed at how quickly they spawn. Including myself. I was not prepared at all as are most keepers.
About 3 years ago, I stumbled into breeding. I scrambled trying to do my best.
It is a very rewarding experience to assist them along with "Mother Nature" helping of course.

What are the other tank inhabitants?

Good Luck!

freshwaterninja

jmaldo said:
Congrats!
Most "New" Ram pair owners are amazed at how quickly they spawn. Including myself. I was not prepared at all as are most keepers.
About 3 years ago, I stumbled into breeding. I scrambled trying to do my best.
It is a very rewarding experience to assist them along with "Mother Nature" helping of course.

What are the other tank inhabitants?

Good Luck!
A school of cardinal tetras, a school of rummy nose tetras, a shoal of kuhli loaches, a dwarf gourami, and a juvenile bristle nose pleco :) I am mostly concerned for the dwarf gourami and the male ram

jmaldo

Well Known
Even if they are "Great" parents, there is "Good" chance they will be eaten by the other inhabitants (after lights out) or even by the pair themselves due to the stress caused by the other inhabitants.
If they don't get eaten then they will fall off the leaf and be moved by parents.
Then even if they hatch, doubtful they will survive in your community tank.

But you never know.

:emoji_fingers_crossed: Good Luck!

Top Bottom