Rams fighting or mating?

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I know that one is a female because one has laid eggs. But recently I've noticed that they square off in the tank fully flared at each other then they kinda lip lock and spin around then they go back to they're sides. Are they both females or is this just normal behavior?

Here's the tank. image

Recently one stays on each side when before they used to be civil and stay together.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's a pair they're testing each other to make sure they are picking suitable mate. ( it's a test of strength). It's normal, but sometimes 2 females will also pair up and lay eggs. Post a picture and can tell you if it's a boy, and a girl.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
fissh said:
If it's a pair they're testing each other to make sure they are picking suitable mate. ( it's a test of strength). It's normal, but sometimes 2 females will also pair up and lay eggs. Post a picture and can tell you if it's a boy, and a girl.
I'll try to get a picture it'll be a while though they're both hiding now

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not sure. One has a really pink belly and glittering on the dark and the other had a really long front black fin on the top and no glittering

92cw12

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MALE FEMLAE.png
the one with the pink belly and blue shimmering spots is a female. the one with the long fin on top is a male. the third spin on the dorsal fin is longer on males than females. the shape of the head on females is rounded and the males have a blocky head

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So they're just getting more accustomed to each other? I mean I've had them for a little
Over a few months now

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
92cw12 said:
View attachment 208726
the one with the pink belly and blue shimmering spots is a female. the one with the long fin on top is a male. the third spin on the dorsal fin is longer on males than females. the shape of the head on females is rounded and the males have a blocky head
Are females bigger or smaller? Always seems like the smaller one wins the battles.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom