rams and NitrAtes?

Wolfgang8810

got 2 new rams today they are so pretty! But When I got home I noticed that my nitrAtes were around 40ppm. How sensitive are they to this? what should I do? I have an uncycled tank that I jsut setup in the past 2 days with all parameters 0 should I move them to that until I can do a water change?

Wolfgang8810

they are swimmin on the bottom but breating normaly. I jsut don't wantt o lose them. please help.

Peterpiper

got 2 new rams today they are so pretty! But When I got home I noticed that my nitrAtes were around 40ppm. How sensitive are they to this? what should I do? I have an uncycled tank that I jsut setup in the past 2 days with all parameters 0 should I move them to that until I can do a water change?

The way I see this is you have one tank with high NitrAtes and one with peram's at 0 but uncycled.If you placed the rams in the uncycled tank the Ammonia would rise...Can you get RO Water form a shop and use it to do a water change?

Wolfgang8810

I was planning on keeping them I the uncycled tank only until io do a waterchange tomorrow. after the water change they go back in the origional tank.

Wolfgang8810

I have my own RO water at my house. I like to be prepared.

Peterpiper

The Rams should have a large well planted tank with plenty of caves, driftwood and other hiding places. If the fish is not happy in its surroundings it will just lurk in a corner and be very pale. The water should be soft, slightly acidic and the temperature in the range of 73 to 77 degrees. Feeding is not to hard as they accept flake food and really love any live food you can offer. The Rams are very intolerant of poor water conditions and the quality must remain high. They also do not take to medications well, so the use of them should be limited. They only live about two years. The rams are a timid fish and should not be kept with others that are aggressive or overly busy, good tank mates would be smaller Tetras and Rasboras.

Just copied this .look at the water conditions I would place them in the other tank.. but watch the Ammonia!
And start to look at why the NitrAtes went up

Wolfgang8810

They Wont Be Int Ehre More Than 24 Hours

COBettaCouple

do you have prime or amquel+ to treat the water with? that should help.

Wolfgang8810

I changed 7 oput of 10 gallons and the nitrates only went form 40 to 20pp. Should I do another one?

Wolfgang8810

What is an acceptable nitrate levle for bolivian rams? <20ppm?

lilsoccakid

20 at the most

Wolfgang8810

I finaly got it down to 5 after 3 50% water changes. I only vacuumed the gravel once.

Peterpiper

How are the rams going?

Wolfgang8810

there still skittish but seem much happier. I got them back in their origional tank around 3 today. I also added more fake plants which I really don't like but oh well there only in that tank for a week or two before they go to my 56 gallon. I had bought 3 german blue rams and they brought ich to my tank and then died. so I'm quarantining these guys.

Peterpiper

Great to hear the rams are happier

Wolfgang8810

me too it was 16 bucks for both of them

Wolfgang8810

they ate some frozen bloodworms today and seem good. They stay at mostly mid to low tank regoin is that normal? I also got a Sailfin Leopard Pleco for 5 bucks! WOO! hes fine already munching on algae wafers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cale24
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
coralbandit