Rams And Guppies

Les Miz <3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a 120L planted aquarium with 1 gold ram (I will get another but the fish store hasn't got any in yet) 5 diamond tetras (I will get 3 more when the fish store has them), 5 shrimp and a bristle nose catfish.

My question is, can I get a group of guppies or will the ram target them? Should I opt for something like neon tetra instead? Thanks

Latrell

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Les Miz <3 said:
I have a 120L planted aquarium with 1 gold ram (I will get another but the fish store hasn't got any in yet) 5 diamond tetras (I will get 3 more when the fish store has them), 5 shrimp and a bristle nose catfish.

My question is, can I get a group of guppies or will the ram target them? Should I opt for something like neon tetra instead? Thanks
I seen people keep rams with guppies ...if you want you can get a school of neon tetras but their smaller than guppies so ...they might get targeted....but since there gonna be in a big group they aren't likely to get picked on.

nbalaw2016

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think it'll be a problem. I've never seen a hint of aggression from my rams toward my young dwarf rainbows, which are smaller than most guppies.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The thing about guppies and livebearers, they never did well in my soft water. I don't think they were a fan of higher temperatures either. I'm thinking since you have rams (plan to have more as the centerpiece), your water is most likely on the softer side like mine. A tetra school is a better fit IMO.

After increasing the diamond tetra school (which I agree with), I feel it leaves not much space for another school, but if you're diligent with water parameters and change water as much as it needs, you could get away with another small school.

But you could go with any small tetra. I would steer away from neon though because they are not too healthy lately and the last thing you want is a outbreak. Black neons, gold tetra, glowlight tetra, cardinal tetras, kerri tetra, green fire tetra are some healthier options.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom