Rams and cories?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know German blue rams are bottom dwellers, but would they be okay with a couple of small peppered cories? I FINALLY found a pair of GBRs at an LFS here in my tiny town (although one of them died on the way home, but they're going to replace it when they make their fish order on Monday) and snatched them up because they were only $4 each! They are going into my 29 gallon tank which currently houses one opaline gourami and three tiger barbs. I also got two peppered cories (they were $2, which usually they're $4+ at Petsmart and Petco). I would like to put them in the 29 gallon as a clean up crew, but I can put them in my 55 gallon with my panda cories and albino cory if they won't work with the rams.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, I paid over $20 for mine, each (I have a pair, they are worth every penny). I currently have 4 cories of 3 diff types in with them. No issues what-so-ever.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In terms of behavior, cories are great tank mates for rams. However, I've been told by some experienced cory keepers that cories prefer cooler temps (mid to high 70's) than rams would (I wouldn't keep rams at less than 80, and would probably go for 82).

Keep us posted how your rams do.... I've had so little success with them, sadly, even though our soft water is pH 6.5 out of the tap and should be perfect for them. I've since moved on from them and have really gotten into Apistogramma species. They do a lot better for me, for whatever reason.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sweet! I figured they'd be okay, but just wanted to make sure. My little ram is a male, I think (the one that survived...I'm pretty sure the one that died was a female). He's maybe 1" long and already is chasing the larger 1.5" tiger barbs around the tank. Such attitude! The poor tiger barbs are already living in fear of the 4" opaline gourami...now they have to worry about the tiny ram as well. ROFL!

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've been enjoying my GBRs and the only time they notice the cory's is when the rams have "occupied" a sinking wafer and the corys try to share with them. Then it's just a 3" chase and the ram goes back to hovering.

Also, I wouldn't consider to GBRs to be true bottom dwellers - they spend a large amount of their active time at all levels - and even feed at the surface. Now I only had a Bolivian Ram for a few weeks, but he was far more of a bottom dweller - spent all day chewing sand and would only dart up to mid level for a second or two. He also had no problem with the Corys - he just wanted to kill my angelfish!

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BunnyPuncher said:
I wouldn't consider to GBRs to be true bottom dwellers - they spend a large amount of their active time at all levels - and even feed at the surface. Now I only had a Bolivian Ram for a few weeks, but he was far more of a bottom dweller - spent all day chewing sand and would only dart up to mid level for a second or two. He also had no problem with the Corys - he just wanted to kill my angelfish!
This is true. My Bolivian Rams stay in the lower 1/3 of the tank and have no issues with the Cories. I've had both GBRs and EBRs and they are all over the place....top at feeding time, bottom to pick up left overs, middle chasing each other, and let nothing get in their way when they are fighting over territory or pairing off.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yay! This is all what I've wanted to hear. Right now the GBR is hiding in the java moss that has taken over one side of my tank and the cories are just chilling wherever. I'm thinking in a week or so (after the GBR has settled in a bit more) I'll remove some of that moss. I need some of it for another tank I'm re-scaping anyway, so I might as well just do it now.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bassbonediva said:
Sweet! I figured they'd be okay, but just wanted to make sure. My little ram is a male, I think (the one that survived...I'm pretty sure the one that died was a female). He's maybe 1" long and already is chasing the larger 1.5" tiger barbs around the tank. Such attitude! The poor tiger barbs are already living in fear of the 4" opaline gourami...now they have to worry about the tiny ram as well. ROFL!
I dont think you need to worry about the tiger barbs.....

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm working on getting another tank just for the rams regardless. I found a 30gal on Craigslist with EVERYTHING (including a stand and what looks like a T5 light fixture) for $50 and I emailed on it. Hopefully the guy will email me or call me tomorrow and I can go take a look at it. He also has two 50gal tanks with everything for the same price, but I don't need anything that big since I already have my 55 gallon.

Other than cories, what could I put in a 30gal with my pair of GBRs (named Tyr and Zroya) that would make a nice small community?

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could pull the 2 neons from the 55 and add them to a new school in the 30 gallon. I've always liked some of those smaller gouramis (honey I think) and I think they make a pretty centrepiece but I honestly know nothing about them.

Or you could take on the onerous task of trying to find a few female GBRs so that the fellah has choice and the girls some rest.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh heck! I need to update my aquarium info! Lol! I don't have the two neons anymore (gave them to a friend because I didn't want to have to fill out my school again and she had three that needed friends). At the moment I have four female bettas, a whole bunch of platies (adults, juveniles and fry), one female swordtail, one female guppy, one albino cory, five panda cories, two kuhli loaches, two otos and one huge upside down catfish.

I didn't end up getting that 30gal. It wasn't as good a deal as I thought (it had been used for reptiles and the lighting on it was kind of meh and wasn't actually the correct size light for the tank...the only worthwhile thing about it was that it came with a Fluval 3 filter). So, for the time being I'm going to redo the 29 gallon a bit so that it's easier to find Tyr and keep my eyes peeled for a 15-30gal tank on Craigslist or at the thrift stores.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads