Ram with columaris(?), waiting for Kanaplex- meth blue?

booksandbettas
Hi there,

I went to feed my fish today and noticed that my male German Blue Ram was fairly subdued (he is usually pretty active) and his lips have turned white. He is a fairly new fish and has been displaying territorial behavior with my tetras, so I'm afraid he got injured and it turned to infection. I've ordered Kanaplex and JungleClear fizzy tabs, but the Kanaplex won't get here until Monday and the JungleClear until tomorrow.

Based on internet research I'm going to put him in a quarantine tank, add some salt, and treat with the Jungle Clear Fungus Eliminator I currently have. I've also seen some threads that suggest Methylene Blue, which I have, could help. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or if it will react badly with the Fungus Eliminator?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 5 years
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 79.9F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
live plants, tetras, endler's livebearers, bristlenose pleco, assassin snail, 2 rams (male german blue female gold)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 20%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? daily
How much do you feed your fish? a pinch of flakes or pellets for the rest of the fish, 3 sinking cichlid pellets for the rams
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Do you feed frozen? no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? lips are white, fish is subdued
Have you started any treatment for the illness? not yet
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? as described above

Advertisement
BruinAquatics
If this is columnaris than Methly blue or any anti fungal won't really do anything

Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria and certain medicines like kanaplex, nitrafurozone and erythromycin can help with this type of bacteria

For columnaris i recommend mixing Furan 2 (Nitrofurazone) and Kanaplex.

This being said if your fish's lips seem fuzzy and stringy than there's a better chance it is fungal (most likely would be Saprologina fungus) in which Methlyn blue dips and antifungal agents/meds would work better .

Can you send some pictures of your fish so we can better diagnose it .

For now i would qt him and add aq salt to the qt tank.

Advertisement
booksandbettas
Despite the name, Jungle Clear Fungus Eliminator is indeed a combination of Nitrofurazone and furazolidone, just like Furan-2. The only active inredient difference between the two is that Furan-2 has added Methylene-Blue while Jungle clear has Potassium Dichromate. I'm about to hunt him down and net him, I will post pics once he's in the qt tank! (I might drip acclimate him to see if the meds bother him) Not seeing any fuzziness or strings yet, just that his lips turned from blue to white and he's acting differently.
If this is columnaris than Methly blue or any anti fungal won't really do anything

Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria and certain medicines like kanaplex, nitrafurozone and erythromycin can help with this type of bacteria

For columnaris i recommend mixing Furan 2 (Nitrofurazone) and Kanaplex.

This being said if your fish's lips seem fuzzy and stringy than there's a better chance it is fungal (most likely would be Saprologina fungus) in which Methlyn blue dips and antifungal agents/meds would work better .

Can you send some pictures of your fish so we can better diagnose it .

For now i would qt him and add aq salt to the qt tank.
I just realized I forgot to "reply to" in my last message, but it doesn't really matter because I went to net him and he was dead. First symptom to death in less than a day. :( Still no fuzz in death, but the white from the lips spread to the lower half of the face. Now going to watch the rest of the tank and possibly preemptively treat with kanaplex when it arrives Monday. I hate everything. Thank you for your help.

BruinAquatics
Im so sorry for your loss. I know how tough it can be to loose a fish due to disease, and can only imagine how tough and odd it may feel to loose a fish after the first day's symptoms

how old was your fish and what species was it?

booksandbettas
Im so sorry for your loss. I know how tough it can be to loose a fish due to disease, and can only imagine how tough and odd it may feel to loose a fish after the first day's symptoms
how old was your fish and what species was it?
It was a male Electric Blue Ram, and I've only had him for about 2 weeks. He immediately paired up with the female Gold German Ram I purchased at the same time, and I'd really been enjoying their curiosity and energy and big personalities. I don't want to anthropomorphize too much, but now I'm worried the female is going to be "lonely" being the only cichlid in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Shrimpgeek
Replies
Views