Ram Tankmates

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by MervinKhlonson, Dec 28, 2012.

1. M

MervinKhlonson New Member Member

Ram Tankmates Suggestions??????

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if Khuli Loaches would be compatible with rams. Could you also list down as many fish that are compatible with it. I was planning to put up a 20 g. tank. Thanks!!!

And also, are plants really really necessary?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Plants are not really necessary, and it's something you can add later if you decide you want to.

Yes, you can keep kuhli loaches with rams, though I would not put the loaches in a 20 high. A 20 long would be much better or them and a pair of rams. Then you could add a school or tetras or rasboras and be done.

3. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

First off, welcome to the forum!

Just a thought...

Will you be getting these rams from a source that can gaurontee they are known pair or gaurontee their sexes? I only ask because I once put a pair of rams in a 27g cube and it did not go well. I did get a 'pair' (one female and one male) but not a KNOWN pair. Apparently rams can be quite picky with who they decide to be their mate. Seriously. So as it turned out, they really didn't like each other and the shape of my tank did not merit enough room for them to create distiguishable zones. Tecnically if you get 2 rams that are both the same sex, you could end up with the same issues: not enought room for them to co-exist in harmony. In such a situation they could get super aggressive and any other fish that gets in the way of their battles could also pay the price.

So putting 2 rams in a 20g would really make me worried. One would be great thou! :)

Getting a pair is a risk you have to decide if you are willing to take. You could end up with 2 rams that have no problems with each other and then this is a mute point! :) But I definitely would have a back up plan (another tank) in place.

This whole concept is also where the plants come in most of the time. And it doesn't really even need to be real plants if that is not your thing...... and technically it doesn't have to be plants.... just OBJECTS. Like big pieces of decor or strategically stacked piles of rock or slate or wood will help. Something that gives the rams distiguishable zone markings. This way.... if they don't completely like each other, but are willing to live with each other.... the settling in time may be much less.

Just a thought!

Possible Mates:
    I agree with the above. Tetras or rasboras would be great.
    Cories would work too. When I had a GBR tanked with them, I swore he thought he was a cory. :)
    Dwarf gourami would work too.
    Danios

Not sure if I'd do the loaches with that tank size. They like big groups and need bigger footprints to keep them happy. Also, not sure on your substrate but the loaches need either sand or really small/fine pebbles with no sharp edges.

Hope this helps! :)

4. OP
    OP
    M

I think I would buy just one. But What worries me is that it may end up harassing other tank mates since its single.

Would that be a problem if ever?

5. OP
    OP
    M

But thank you guys anyway!

6. babypuffer

babypuffer New Member Member

Plants are crucial!! These beauties love to pick fights. It's in their nature. I have five in a 55 gallon. Everyone says they need huge tanks but the plants make up for the size. Hiding places such as under driftwood helps too. And as soon as I added Lambchop Rasboras they really relaxed!

I also have German Rams in my Discus tank. Eight in a 75 g. Lots of plants and no hurt fish.

They will always push each other around. They are RAMS lol.

7. babypuffer

Adding quiet community fish such as angels, neons, cardinal tetras or most tetras, corys, rasboras, will work well. Stay away from other cichlids.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Ok! I placed two driftwoods and eight fake plants which filles 80% of the tanks bottom space! I also noticed that everyone was doing fine!

9. OP
    OP
    M

Is a blue ram compatible with a guppy? (Just asking...)

10. babypuffer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice