Ram Sexing

JoeFish26

Reaction score
I
20180418_170648.jpeg
IMG_20180411_183922_484.jpeg
IMG_20180420_000914_123.jpeg
have 1 german blue and one gold ram and they have had some weird spawning behaviour chasing,digging alot of flairing as i always thought they were both males but they seem to be always side by side? But the gold ram seems to be the more active of the chasing and digging any help to explain this will be greatly appreciated.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How big are they?

Judging by the dorsal fins, the gold one looks female, and the blue one is hard to tell - could be a young male or a female.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The GBR is a male since there's no Pink/Purple belly plus the shape of the body is skinnier/longer. Females would tend to have rounder body.

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
GBR looks like a male and the gold is definitely female. A male's fins are longer and pointier.

JoeFish26

Reaction score
Ddelpinal said:
GBR looks like a male and the gold is definitely female. A male's fins are longer and pointier.
Thank you very much, i really appreciate the quick reply!

Ryan P said:
The GBR is a male since there's no Pink/Purple belly plus the shape of the body is skinnier/longer. Females would tend to have rounder body.
Thank you!

TexasDomer said:
How big are they?

Judging by the dorsal fins, the gold one looks female, and the blue one is hard to tell - could be a young male or a female.
Thank you and they are about almost 3"

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm, now that pic makes the gold one seem like a male too - look at the elongated dorsal ray.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Unless there's a pink belly, or the fish is full grown, I tend to go by the pelvic fins. In males, they reach well beyond the start of the analfin, in females, they reach just to the start of the analfin.
I have a female (she's old enough to lay eggs, and has done so) that has a really strong dorsal fin spike, while my slightly larger male is only barely starting to have/show his.
So the newbie in the group (that would be me ) thinks the gbr is male, and the gold is female.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even some males can have a pink belly, and females can lack it at some points in time, so that itself isn't a reliable trait to use alone.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm leaning towards female for the Gold and definitely male for the GBR.

The pink belly is usually unmistakable by 2" but not sure on Gold Rams. The shorter fins (dorsal and pelvic) along with spangles going the full length of the body has me thinking it's female. The GBR doesn't have spangles on his black spot and no pink on his belly so definitely male.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DarkOne said:
I'm leaning towards female for the Gold and definitely male for the GBR.

The pink belly is usually unmistakable by 2" but not sure on Gold Rams. The shorter fins (dorsal and pelvic) along with spangles going the full length of the body has me thinking it's female. The GBR doesn't have spangles on his black spot and no pink on his belly so definitely male.
Golds display the pink belly too.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The blue Ram is definitely a male. The Gold, Im honestly not quite sure, though I’m thinking female. Here’s my male.
IMG_0428.jpg
your fish are very healthy looking though!

JoeFish26

Reaction score
AquaticJ said:
The blue Ram is definitely a male. The Gold, Im honestly not quite sure, though I’m thinking female. Here’s my male. View attachment 435214 your fish are very healthy looking though!
Thank you and yours looks awesome as well, i just dont know the gold is acting very much like a female right now lol so the majority here is saying female so maby just wait and see if eggs appear lol

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fallback on sexing pretty much any New World Cichlid is the abdominal profile. The gold shows no color markings to indicate female, the third dorsal ray is extended, and it has a slightly concave belly, which, if it were female, would tell me that it's never going to spawn anyway. But, I think it is a male, as is the regular Ram.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom