Ram Question Help

1. fino69 Initiate Member

My Neighbor gave me a Ram for my tank. I have tried to compare him/her to many pics I have seen as well as Blue Rams at 2 different pet stores, with no luck of finding any that match patterns or color. The pics are not the greatest but it does have an elongated black spike at the front of the dorsal fin. However, my Ram is a deep blue and the dorsal seems to have almost a rainbow effect when looked at in light. It does not seem to have the red eyes that I have seen in all the comparisons, nor the yellowish coloring around the head area. Anyone have any idea if this fish is a German Blue Ram?

Attached Files:

2. Regal Well Known Member Member

hmmm he does look like a Blue Ram but with less color. A Bolivian Ram maybe? Not sure.

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

He seems to be one of the new electric blue rams...see if he colors up better as he gets used to your tank. He is not a bolivian ram...similar cause he is a bit slim for a ram. Wait til he fattens up a bit!!

4. fino69 Initiate Member

Ah ha, after looking at a post on here with pics of electric blue rams, I have no doubt that's what I have here. Thanks for the help folks.

5. Shadowbeam Member Member

Welcome to fishlore btw Fino :)

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You definitely have an electric blue ram. Very nice gift- they are $20 or more each around here. It's a selectively bred color variant of the blue ram, so the care is the same.

Welcome to FL! :)

7. fino69 Initiate Member

Thanks, pretty proud of my little gift. He's doing well and already took over a large pot.

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You really have a beautiful little guy there! Normally I'm not a fan of blue gravel (natural colors only for me), but the blue in your ram REALLY stands out with that gravel!

One thing I forgot to mention- rams like warm water. I'd suggest keeping the tank at 81-82 for your new guy. :)

9. fino69 Initiate Member

Found that out a few days ago and have kept it at 81.