Ram Pairing

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

If there are only 2 rams in a tank (male and female) is it guaranteed that they will pair off together? I'm interested in breeding mine but I'm not sure at what age/size that happens at, but just want to learn and research in the time being :)

2. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Cichlids are picky when they choose their pairs so it is a possibility that they will under the right conditions but it is a probable no. What a lot of people do when wanting to pair Rams is that they get 6 Rams and put them in a tank until 2 Rams pair and then the other 4 are gave away. I have 3 Bolivian Rams(2 Males 1 Female, i tried to get 1 Male 2 Female but failed) and they try to breed but it always fails, they dance, then they make a pit, then the female tries laying eggs but fails at it and then they are back to normal a day or two later. Hope i helped, Good Luck.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Darn, I was hoping they would feel lonely and just settle for one another:hilarious: they follow one another around majority of the time, though that's typical fish behavior I guess... maybe I'll have to invest in a few more... what age/size are yours at? Mine are GBRS, not sure if that makes a big difference to things? @Lance0414

4. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I think GBR and Bolivian Ram spawning are similar but i don't know as i don't own GBRs. My original 2 Rams are 3 inchs(Male) and 2 1/2 inchs(Female) and they are both 7 Months old, My newest Ram is 2 1/2 inchs(Male) and is 5 Months old.

5. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

You have a chance. My GBRs did and dropped fry 10 days after I put them in the QT tank.

6. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Wow Okay mine are tiny then... I reckon my male is about an inch or just a tad over, and my female is very noticeably smaller. Guess I'll be waiting a few more months ;)