Ram Pairing

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by kayla.s, Aug 4, 2017.

1. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

If there are only 2 rams in a tank (male and female) is it guaranteed that they will pair off together? I'm interested in breeding mine but I'm not sure at what age/size that happens at, but just want to learn and research in the time being :)

2. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Cichlids are picky when they choose their pairs so it is a possibility that they will under the right conditions but it is a probable no. What a lot of people do when wanting to pair Rams is that they get 6 Rams and put them in a tank until 2 Rams pair and then the other 4 are gave away. I have 3 Bolivian Rams(2 Males 1 Female, i tried to get 1 Male 2 Female but failed) and they try to breed but it always fails, they dance, then they make a pit, then the female tries laying eggs but fails at it and then they are back to normal a day or two later. Hope i helped, Good Luck.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Darn, I was hoping they would feel lonely and just settle for one another:hilarious: they follow one another around majority of the time, though that's typical fish behavior I guess... maybe I'll have to invest in a few more... what age/size are yours at? Mine are GBRS, not sure if that makes a big difference to things? @Lance0414

4. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

I think GBR and Bolivian Ram spawning are similar but i don't know as i don't own GBRs. My original 2 Rams are 3 inchs(Male) and 2 1/2 inchs(Female) and they are both 7 Months old, My newest Ram is 2 1/2 inchs(Male) and is 5 Months old.

5. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

You have a chance. My GBRs did and dropped fry 10 days after I put them in the QT tank.

6. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Wow Okay mine are tiny then... I reckon my male is about an inch or just a tad over, and my female is very noticeably smaller. Guess I'll be waiting a few more months ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice