Ram Pairing and Re-Pairing?

Dunk2

I had something unusual (for me at least) happen in the last couple days. . .

Over the last couple weeks, I had a Blue and Gold Ram pair spawn twice. The Gold is the male and the Blue is the female. Both sets of eggs were eaten (not uncommon for Rams, especially new parents).

Yesterday I noticed that my female Gold Ram was close to laying eggs. Breeding tube out and her and the male Gold (same male that paired with the female Blue) were cleaning a terra cotta pot in the tank.

The eggs appeared this morning, with both the male and female Gold protecting them. And the female Blue doesn’t seem to be doing well. . . Just sort of hanging in one corner of the tank, which is very unusual for her.

Anyone else experience this? coralbandit

coralbandit

They can switch partners .
The odd one out can be killed during breeding if they do not have a partner to help them out IME .

Upvote 0

Dunk2

They can switch partners .
The odd one out can be killed during breeding if they do not have a partner to help them out IME .

Thanks Tom.

I’ve been watching them pretty close since I noticed the Gold pair spawn and the Blue female hanging in the corner.

I realize the aggression could have happened before I noticed the eggs or when I haven’t been watching, but I haven’t seen any yet.

Male on guard.

69EBF4B8-0371-4F56-AE5D-A35CB927CF2D.jpeg
Female

4E993EB9-E0DE-4289-9424-92EA0F125E45.jpeg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
Replies