Ram Pair Aggression

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Kmullz, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Kmullz

KmullzNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a breeding pair of German blue Rams alone in a 12.5 gallon tank. They currently have many 5 day free swimming fry and were excellent parents, taking turns and never eating young. Today the female decided to be very aggressive to the male. I out him in a breeder box to hang out for a while and reintroduced him tonight. Again...very aggressive but he fought back a bit before giving up and being chased into a corner. The behavior was mutual pecking, fin flaring and darting, though it was VERY rough and I'm surprised they're not injured. Some fry were were getting squashed during the darting.

Is this just intense courtship or will a pair get aggressive when young are around, even towards the mate?

Attached Files:

2. Ksway

KswayNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Your best bet would be to remove the male. The female is just trying to protect the eggs. Sooner or later you will have to remove the male anyway because he will want to breed again with the female. It will also spare the male from getting beat up, the females can definitely pack a punch. You might be able to get away with leaving the male in there if you had a bigger tank for them.