Ram + Gourami breeding Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by potatos, Apr 2, 2010.

1. potatosValued MemberMember

HI,
    I have a male and female pearl gourami, and a male and small female german blue ram. I am interested in breeding them, but they are not pairs. only got the gourami last weekend and the female ram today. is there a way to encourage them to form pairs? the male gourami chases the female, and her tail is frayed. good or bad sign? the female ram is new, so i need to watch her behavior more before i can say anything about their relationship.
    thanks

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Fish won't always pair off just because they are m/f. I can't help you with breeding

3. OP
    OP
    p

potatosValued MemberMember

I know :(. what chance do they have of forming a pair? and can i boost the odds somehow?

4. angelfish220

angelfish220Well Known MemberMember

Were do you live? If where you live is warm out try getting a big rubbermaid tub (the kind that are like 30 of 40 gallons for storing clothes and stuff) and put the gouramis in there along with a handfull of floating plants (I used watersprite) and take it outside. Top off the water level if it gets low.

I did this last summer with a pair of dwarf gouramis that weren't a pair. By the end of the summer I had more fry than I could count.

Make sure it doesn't frost or get to cold at night before you start.

5. OP
    OP
    p

potatosValued MemberMember

Thats a good idea, thanks. i live in Maryland near Baltimore. Do you preform water changes? and what about mosquitoes?

how long would a male and female fish in a tank take to decide whether or not they want to be a pair?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice