Ram eggs?

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright I got these rams not too long ago and I was wondering why they were being so defensive of the corner of the tank as of yesterday. I was looking closely and noticed a bunch of white dots on the substrate behind the rock and one of the two rams hovering above them. Are these eggs? And another question how do you know that they are fertilized if they are eggs? I'm gonna feel real dumb if they aren't eggs lol.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I decided to move them the best I could cause it looked like they were eating them and not spitting them out. Lol I still don't know if there are eggs but they sure were angry so I'm guessing they are

Decided against moving lol I'm just impatient for answers and what happens happens

ryanmaw92

Reaction score
Yeah they are eggs

And if they are fertilised in a couple of days you might see little black dots in them (the frys eyes) they might turn to a darker colour aswell.

Oh and they will eat the eggs if they think they are in danger, or there is something wrong with them or stressed out, are they in a community tank? It's best just to leave them to it and not attempt to move the eggs yourself because rams make good parents

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They're in a community tank and they either at them all or moved them cause there is no trace of them today.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Five 97 said:
I would still keep an eye out for them...
First timers aren't usually the best parents, are you wanting to raise them?
I'm pretty sure they ate them lol. I'm just happy to know that the two I grabbed happened to be at least a male and female. If they do it again I might grab them out into a breeder box or I might see if they survive in the tank if they do then whatever I'll move them to grow of not then hopefully next time. How often do they spawn?

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, if all the conditions are right, they should spawn again in atleast 2 weeks.

If the rams are in a community tank, once they lay again, I would move the eggs over to a separate tank with an air stone, and hatch them yourself.

I did notice this last time they laid their eggs on the gravel, maybe placing a piece of slate or something more enticing to lay the eggs on, for easier removal.

but you could also leave the eggs alone with the parents and once they hatch take a portion or all of the hatched fry into a growout tank.

most breeder boxes, would not be able to contain GBR fry, as they are tiny and will swim right through the slits and whatever fate awaits them outside.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ahh got it there are a bunch of flat rocks in the tank hidden throughout the tank since they like hiding so hopefully they lay on there. if not ill see if i can move them. How would i set up a hatch tank? I have a 20 gallon empty does it need a filter or should i just fill it with dechlorinated water?

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, you'd need a filter for the growout tank, I usually use sponge filters in fry tanks, there cheap and no worries about fry getting sucked in.

I'd get atleast 2 of these for a 20g.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Five 97 said:
Yes, you'd need a filter for the growout tank, I usually use sponge filters in fry tanks, there cheap and no worries about fry getting sucked in.

I'd get atleast 2 of these for a 20g.
cool thanks are they worth raising these are balloon rams i got from my local shop would they buy them from me?

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Damien808 said:
cool thanks are they worth raising these are balloon rams i got from my local shop would they buy them from me?
I'd definitely raise them just for the experience...my lfs recently got in about 20+ regular electric blue ram, they were all gone in a matter of days...the GBRs though, seem to hang around a bit longer (though I have no idea as to the popularity of balloon ram in your area).
If your lfs won't take all or any, there are online options.

*note: petsmart or petco don't take in any fish for store credit, or cash, only for free lol, just thought I'd mention it.

Damien808

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm weird all people seem to want are gbrs but I guess they don't look as nice in shops compared to a neon blue fish. Mine still aren't as nice as the ones I see online but they're definitely coloring up more every week. Thanks for the help I'll tag you if they happen to spawn again

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Damien808 said:
Hmm weird all people seem to want are gbrs but I guess they don't look as nice in shops compared to a neon blue fish. Mine still aren't as nice as the ones I see online but they're definitely coloring up more every week. Thanks for the help I'll tag you if they happen to spawn again
Yea, but GBRs are still popular as dwarfs, I'm sure you'll be able to sell a future batch in one way or another.
I'd be honored to be tagged in your thread, lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom