Ram color morph ID

fish47

freshwaterninja said:
Howdy!

I got a pair of ram cichlids the other day, and I know my female is a German blue, but is my male as well? He just seems so dark compared to the typical GBR’s. I bought him under the pretense that he was a German blue, but is that how y’all would classify him?
thats a german blue for sure. Never kept them, he might be agitated or something and that is why he is darker. wouldn't really know.

coralbandit

Looks like stress stripes .
How's your water ? What temp ??

freshwaterninja

coralbandit said:
Looks like stress stripes .
How's your water ? What temp ??
Interesting. Does my female have them too? Ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates are <10 ppm. Water temp is 81 F. They were only introduced to the tank on Friday, are they stressed because it’s still new to them?

Attachments

coralbandit

Those do look like stress bars on the female also .
Do you know about your hardness? I like TDS better then GH for measuring hardness.
Are there other fish in tank ?

freshwaterninja

coralbandit said:
Do you know about your hardness? I like TDS better then GH for measuring hardness.
I’ve been meaning to pick up a TDS pen, so I’ll go out and get one today and let you know how those look. As for other fish, there’s a school of rummynose, a school of cardinals, a shoal of loaches, a bristlenose pleco, and a DG who likes the opposite end of the tank. I also noticed eggs on the amazon swords (ram territory), could they maybe be stressed over their eggs?

coralbandit

Yea breeding may stress them .
They may just be crossed with black also ?
Usually stress bars go away ?

RomanNoodles96

coralbandit said:
Why exactly do you like tds better? If I just did a water change and dosed my dechlorinator and then liquid ferts for the week I will have a higher tds than before. This doesn't mean I have hard water though as dechlorinator doesn't affect hardness and neither should fertilizer. not trying to sound mean about it just curious.

freshwaterninja

coralbandit said:
Yea breeding may stress them .
They may just be crossed with black also ?
Usually stress bars go away ?
Is there anything I should do right now, or should I just monitor and give them some more time to get used to their surroundings? I’ve been very excited to get these guys for so long now and I want to do right by them.

coralbandit

RomanNoodles96 said:
Why exactly do you like tds better? If I just did a water change and dosed my dechlorinator and then liquid ferts for the week I will have a higher tds than before. This doesn't mean I have hard water though as dechlorinator doesn't affect hardness and neither should fertilizer. not trying to sound mean about it just curious.
ph and GH can be misleading .
I have known people with all the same paramaters have TDS differences of over 200ppm.
TDS is an easy way to measure when you remineralize with consistency while the other parameters may not be effected as easily thus making measurements for consistency difficult or inaccurate.
Just test your source water before you add anything to know what it is ..
freshwaterninja said:
Is there anything I should do right now, or should I just monitor and give them some more time to get used to their surroundings? I’ve been very excited to get these guys for so long now and I want to do right by them.
Just enjoy them for now .Watch and see if they are being stressed by other fish .
My personal opinion on rams is they are not good community fish ..They are all happy in tanks by themselves .
I basically only keep discus with them besides an occasional cory .

freshwaterninja

coralbandit said:
ph and GH can be misleading .
I have known people with all the same paramaters have TDS differences of over 200ppm.
TDS is an easy way to measure when you remineralize with consistency while the other parameters may not be effected as easily thus making measurements for consistency difficult or inaccurate.
Just test your source water before you add anything to know what it is ..

Just enjoy them for now .Watch and see if they are being stressed by other fish .
My personal opinion on rams is they are not good community fish ..They are all happy in tanks by themselves .
I basically only keep discus with them besides an occasional cory .
That’s a bummer, I might consider getting them their own tank then. What do you recommend for the tank size for just a pair?

coralbandit

freshwaterninja said:
That’s a bummer, I might consider getting them their own tank then. What do you recommend for the tank size for just a pair?
A 10 gallon tank is fine for a happy pair .
I breed my rams in 5.5 and 10g tanks .
I had one pair [one of my largest] breed for 3 years in a 5.5g tank !
I keep them bare bottom and have wood [mopani usually] and a clay pot sideways with the tray in front and the fish love it .Simple air driven sponge filter and heater between 81-86 .Some simple moss ,java fern or anubias as my no effort plant .

81CqrfWl.jpg

^^ This is what most my ram tanks look like .^^
Maybe not pretty ,but pretty fun !:)

freshwaterninja

That’s amazing
coralbandit said:
A 10 gallon tank is fine for a happy pair .
I breed my rams in 5.5 and 10g tanks .
I had one pair [one of my largest] breed for 3 years in a 5.5g tank !
I keep them bare bottom and have wood [mopani usually] and a clay pot sideways with the tray in front and the fish love it .Simple air driven sponge filter and heater between 81-86 .Some simple moss ,java fern or anubias as my no effort plant .

81CqrfWl.jpg

^^ This is what most my ram tanks look like .^^
Maybe not pretty ,but pretty fun !:)
That’s amazing, they’re so beautiful! How long have you been breeding for? What do you do with the fry once they grow up?

coralbandit

I am on year 7 or so of ram breeding .
I sell my rams on AquaBid and various forums like this one . I also take them to one of my LFS for credit .
I have shipped to the Virgin Islands ,Hawaii, Puerto Rico , Alaska and even Guam besides all the continental states .
It is an amazing process to be part of .

Top Bottom