ram cichlids

1. dano569 Member Member

does anyone have ram cichlids?i was wondering if anyone has them what ph do they have them in?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I believe Butterfly has some in a ph of 7.6. Which rams are you talking about, the blue or bolivian rams? Butterfly has the blue.

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Rams are so beautiful !!! I wish I could have some rams !!! Definitely getting them in the future (when I have a "huge" tank) !!! ;D

4. dano569 Member Member

i decided not to get the rams and got some different gouramis instead.they had some blue rams and some golds but i was concerned about the ph in my tank being to high and they were tiny so i was worried my pictus cats would eat them.i had to get rid of my south american cichlids and was gonna get some rams to replace them,but decided to get gouramis instead.

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes the Rams are very beautiful and will acclimate to just about any pH but in order for tehir eggs to hatch the water has to be a bit soft.
    Carol

6. dano569 Member Member

i ended up starting a gourami tank instead and put my rainbow cichlids in there also. ;D

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

Yey you got pictus cats. They are one of the most beautiful catfish! ;D

8. dano569 Member Member

yeah one of them is mean if he doesn't settle down soon i'm gonna have to take him to the pet store. :mad: :mad: he's aggressive toward my dojos and starts fights with the other pictus.

9. Jason Well Known Member Member

Did you get them from the same place or at the same time or did you get them after one established a territory

10. dano569 Member Member

i bought 2 and one died and then i got the other about a month later.the second one i bought was older than the one that lived.

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

Its weird sometimes fish will happily play together but othertimes like people they don't get along. Some fish don't like it when you add another of the same species after it has already established itself there.

When the meaner one attackers the other do you hear the noise they make its a kind of honk.

12. dano569 Member Member

no,i haven't heard that.

13. Jason Well Known Member Member

The fish can't be hurting the other then too much

14. vin Well Known Member Member

Most species of catfish "croak". That's from the air bladder they have that they can inflate or empty to keep them bouyant....

15. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

wierd i didn't know fish could make noise...

16. dano569 Member Member

i ended up with 2 rams in MY GOURAMI TANK. :p ::)

17. vin Well Known Member Member

You want to hear a "croaker", catch a Sea Robin......They croak like bullfrogs. ;D

18. Jason Well Known Member Member

I like the look of Rams and am I right in saying they do pretty well in community tanks.

The is a fish here called the Trumpeter and it also croaks pretty loud

19. Maida_gc Member Member

Hey Dano - how are the Rams doing? Do you have any catfish or other fish that occupy the same area as Rams? And did you get 2M/2F or 1 of each. Very interested. My setup seems Like I will have Gourami's as well, and would like to know how they are doing. Please share - thanks.

And for anyone else who have had more than 1, do you reccomend only 1 species and which sex ratio if any. Thanks.

20. dano569 Member Member

they're doing good so far.they're hanging out at the top now i guess until they get settled in.i think i ended up with 2 males.i was trying to get a male and female. i got the male i wanted then they all grouped and i didn't get the one i wanted originally.