Ram Cichlid Reality Show - thread about their antics

el337
No.

Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid are very thorough.

Sorry! But let's hope the Mr. and Mrs. are kind to leave some alone this time around!

Granamyr
Seeing that picture it might be that they are on gravel and can't dig a pit like they would want to, to move the fry into after they have hatched. Rams prefer sand so that they can prep depressions to move the fry around in after they have hatched. Unfortunately that gravel looks to big for them to really be able to move. Since they don't know where to move them to they end up eating them?

Not sure that's it but I know my bolivian rams love to dig pits when they are breeding

Gena
I've never heard that about GBR. Everything I've read is that they prefer flat stones over anything.

Granamyr
I've never heard that about GBR. Everything I've read is that they prefer flat stones over anything.

That's where they lay their eggs on, but after the eggs have hatched, they like to move them around the tank in pits that they have prepared prior to the eggs hatching.

This is what I'm referring to

Gena
Season 3 episode 1

All is well in the Ram Cichlid household! The kids haven't been eaten this week and mommy & daddy aren't fighting! They are even being NICE(ish) to the tetras! They only chase neighbors away when they get within a few inches of the egg laying rock. A very nice change. Babies should be arriving in a few days!

Daddy and the kids:

BornThisWayBettas
Yay!!!!! Let's hope they keep up the good attitude!

Gena
Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid have decided to take a "hands off" approach. Now there is stuff growing on the eggs because no one is fanning them enough. I guess there goes their nomination for parents of the year.. =/

BornThisWayBettas
Uh oh.......

el337
They need parenting classes.

Gena
That jerk! He hurt her! She has a rip in her caudal fin and one of her pectoral fins. And she's looking really pale. Like she's in shock.

el337
Oh no!!! Are you going to take her out? This is getting bad...

Bijou88
Poor girl! that hardly seems fair. ..

BornThisWayBettas
Aw, poor girly.......

Geoff
She might need a PFA.

el337
It's turned to domestic violence... smh

Gena
THERE ARE BABIES!

Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid must have moved the eggs from the egg laying rock. Mrs. Ram Cichlid is looking a lot better. They are working together to care for their new family. They'll eventually be eaten but the nice family facade is comforting.

I'll be going out of town tomorrow and so that doesn't help things..

BornThisWayBettas
Oh, hope all goes well while you're gone! Think there's a chance the little ones will survive?

el337
Praying for cichlid babies!

Gena

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438659692.350509.jpg

Mr. Ram Cichlid: What are you looking at? Huh?
Mrs. Ram Cichlid: Children, form a line please.. oh, this is tiring. Let's eat them now, k?

The babies are the little pieces of dandruff that are in a cloud around Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid.

el337
Aww they're so tiny!

Bijou88
Cool! Hope they don't eat all of the little ones.

BornThisWayBettas
Oh my gosh they're so little!!!!

Gena
I checked this morning and the babies are still alive. Mr. Ram Cichlid is being a jerkwad to Mrs. Ram Cichlid and chasing her away from the fry swarm. She's on outside patrol duty(chasing away tetras that get too close so the other parent can always stay with the fry.) Usually they switch patrol duty and fry tending duty every few minutes but not this time.

I'm pretty sure last batch it was Mrs. Ram Cichlid that ate the babies because Mr. Ram Cichlid was banished.

It's probably mean but at this point I'm thinking: at least they'll have something fresh to eat while I'm away for two days. I've gotten apathetic about the babies because their fate is inevitable. The pair is constantly breeding. Instead of the standard 1 month breeding schedule they've been doing like 3 times a month.
>,<

I do think that the breeding solidifies their relationship. If they weren't actively breeding they probably would've gotten a fish divorce already. Since I got the egg laying rock they have chillaxed a little because they have an easy place to lay the eggs. I've also noticed that they have gotten more seasoned at breeding. The first time they ate the eggs right away, the second time they lasted a few hours. And then a few times after that they ate the eggs a few days before they would've hatched. Each time the fry are usually lasting a little longer. Maybe someday they'll survive long enough to fend for themselves?

I'm off to the airport but I'll have my iPad and iPhone which both have the Fishlore app.

^The day they came in the mail in April. They were so little and young then.

BornThisWayBettas
Aw haha! Hope some of those babies survive, but you're right, I'll try not to hold my breath.

Have a nice trip!

el337
Hoping they leave a few! Have a safe trip!

Gena
UPDATE: I got back from vacation on Thursday and the babies were gone. I'm not surprised. Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid have been getting marriage counseling and are working on their relationship. I haven't seen any more injuries to Mrs. Ram Cichlid. Although the guppies seem a little nipped at. -.- I can't say if they did it to themselves of if the usual suspects are at it again.

Mr. Ram Cichlid is getting huge and eats like a freaking pig. NOMNOMNOMNOM

I couldn't find any ram cichlids at Shedd Aquarium! Maybe I just was looking in the wrong places? There was a tank with hundreds of cardinal tetras and every time I passed it I was thinking two things:
-Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid would hate living in that tank. Dumb tetras are always making dem mad.
-How many thousands of dollars worth of cardinal tetras were in there. At like $13 a pop, I'm guessing it'd be at least $1,000 and that is a very conservative estimate! That tank seemed like the most logical place for ram cichlids to be, I looked REALLY hard for them but couldn't find any. There were a few angels in there as well.

The tank at Shedd that could be a nice ram cichlid home:

BornThisWayBettas
Wow, cool tank at that aquarium lol! But sorry about the babies.......

el337
Sorry about the babies also. Maybe they just don't want to raise children. What is the average number of times they will spawn before there are any survivors?

Gena
I saw Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid starting to hang around their egg laying rock. It was covered with algae and sludge. So when they turned their backs I reached in and grabbed the rock before they could assault my hand. When they turned back around and saw their rock was missing, whew. Stink eye! "HEY! That's my rock!"

I scrubbed off the rock and returned it to its rightful owners in less than five minutes though. So now they have a "fresh slate" for the next season!

Season 4 is coming soon!

BornThisWayBettas
Haha, how would you like it if a giant hand reached in and stole something out of your house lol?

Gena
It was filthy, I don't think they could've cleaned it themselves. =/ I saw them trying to clean it and took pity on them. They've stopped trying to clean their rock so I guess my work met their standards.

This is their rock during the last spawn:

I know what you're thinking, you're thinking how awesome their rock is. =D

BornThisWayBettas
Lol, nice rock!

Gena
Look what I found!!! Mr. Ram Cichlid was fanning his fins over it, so it wasn't hard to find.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439776268.048426.jpg

Guess they didn't like where I moved their rock. So they found a better spot! Mrs. Ram Cichlid is not near the eggs.

BornThisWayBettas
Aw, lets hope for the best!

el337
Well, even though they're a bickering couple, at least they're making up a lot!

Gena
Season 3 Episode 2

Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid had a covert operation last night to move the eggs. They move the eggs to the completely opposite corner of the tank. It must've taken hours. Mr. Ram Cichlid has egg guarding duty and Mrs. Ram Cichlid is guarding the perimeter.

Also, a guppy died under mysterious circumstances. His body is a few inches away from Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid.

el337
Oh no, I'm sorry about your guppy! Did it have any injuries on it?

BornThisWayBettas
Aw, poor guppy. I'm sorry for your loss. :console:

Gena
Oh no, I'm sorry about your guppy! Did it have any injuries on it?

Yeah, his tail was chewed up. Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid always get the guppies good. They hate the tetras more but the tetras are more agile and there is less to bite so they have never had any visible injuries. But the guppies aren't as lucky.

el337
Yeah, his tail was chewed up. Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid always get the guppies good. They hate the tetras more but the tetras are more agile and there is less to bite so they have never had any visible injuries. But the guppies aren't as lucky.

Hoping for survivors so that maybe there will be some peace for a while.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kentaaa
Top Bottom