Ram cichlid please post thank you 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by bencross, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bencross

bencrossNew MemberMember

hey, i have a 55 gallon semi agrresive community tank and i want to get some ram cichlids. they say they are better in semi aggresive communities right? well the german blue ram and the german gold ram are the same thing but different colours right? if so i was gonna get one of each could they possibly pair off? and i am new at cichlids and i here rams are kinda hard to keep exspecially germans?? well what do i need to do to keep them happy and healthy? thank you please help -ben

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the site!

german blue rams and electric blue and gold rams are all color variations of the same fish, you are right.

if they pair off, they pair off. just because one is a male and one is female does not guarantee thet theyll pair off. i think what many cichlid owner do to ensure getting a pair is to get several fish and wait for a pair to emerge, at which point the rest are taken back to the store.

as for care, clean water and temps over 80.

3. Regal

RegalWell Known MemberMember

A German blue ram and a gold ram are the same species?

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, just as blue and gold gouramis are.

5. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Good info from Jaysee about the Rams but I don't think you should get them if the stocking list in your aquarium info for your 55gal is accurate. The tank is already massively overstocked & adding Rams will just make it even worse. They are highly sensitive to poor water conditions to so an overstocked tank is not the place for them to be.

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

+1