Ram Cichlid Pair? I Hope...

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Bry, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Bry

Bry Well Known Member Member

Tore apart my 20 gallon, stripped scrubbed restarted. Decided I wanted a pair of German Ram Cichlids. I think I have a male and female (the guy helping me wasn't sure.) but I would like to confirm.
    I was going by one having a big "blush" patch and the other didn't. Could anyone tell me what type of Rams they are?

Attached Files:

2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Congrats, it looks to me like you have 2 females. I zoomed in on the upper one it seems to have a pink belly too. Take some pix when they are both settled in and I'll try to sex them for you ( I have 2 pairs myself)

3. OP
    OP
    Bry

Yayyy!! I literally went by the blush spot and one had duller colors. The guy helping me even said he had no idea. So I took a guess.

4. Fishywife

I'm sorry I edited after taking a second closer look.

5. OP
    OP
    Bry

One has a bright pink belly, the other usually doesn't though sometimes has a very very soft pink.
    I'm shocked I may have picked two females. Usually I always pick males

6. Fishywife

I did the same thing only I kept getting females. Now finally I have 2 pairs. On the plus side, you only gotta find a Male if it ends up being both females. Here's a pic of one of my pairs for comparison
    Male is bottom. 20180410_095408.jpg

7. Fishywife

She hasn't colored up properly yet. But he's trying to get her attention. Her belly is barely pink at this stage.

8. OP
    OP
    Bry

Here's a better pic of the one that doesn't have a blush belly

Attached Files:

9. Fishywife

It will be easier to tell once the stress striping is gone :)

10. OP
    OP
    Bry

Sigh. The waiting game. They're out of the bag now and I got a couple pictures but the stripes are still pretty dark.
    Ughhh. I'm so curious.

Attached Files:

11. Fishywife

As of your second pic it does look more like a pair. But I cant be 100% certain yet. Does the one without the blush have very elongated fin rays at the front of the dorsal? Sure fire way to tell

12. OP
    OP
    Bry

The one without the blush has like three black stripes in the Mohawk and I think the bottom front fins have a stripe of black.
    If you're asking about fin shape, I can't tell. They're too busy exploring to sit still long enough lol

13. OP
    OP
    Bry

The one without blush has blue spots on the fins, the one with blush doesnt. From what I can see
    Edit: The one with blush does have some but only at the base of the fins the one without blush as spots all over.

14. OP
    OP
    Bry

I'll try to get a video if they calm down. The one without blush is constantly swimming laps

15. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I can tell from the first pictures and all the subsequent pictures that you have a pair. Fat fish=female. Skinny fish=male. Sometimes it really is just that simple.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice