55 Gallon Tank Ram cichlid info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bencross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hey, so i have this 55 gallon tank for a while now i have had some bad luck awhile ago (got ich would take all the ortaments out to clean it and fish would die) but for the past 3 months it been great! i have a question about a german blue ram, german gold ram, bolivian ram and a electric blue ram. So what i was wondering was do these guys need to come in pairs becuase i already have platy fry and i dont care for anymore fish fry and i here they are peaceful but aggresice when protecting their eggs? could i purchase on of each? i have a semi aggressive community not a cichlid tank there are four big ortaments in which for each of them to establish territories. one has a two story (for the lucky fish who gets it ) i like them all and would like to own all of each type but i dont want fry so could i get one german blue ram, one german gold ram, one electric blue ram and one bolivain ram?? thank you -ben

oh btw its a 55 gallon rectangular tank. with many hiding places and fake plants

i forgot to mention i no longer take any ortaments out when i clean it with a python hose

Last edited by a moderator:

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can get a male and female, but they will not necessarily pair off. they are fine alone, although i would not get all four types, because territory issues may ensue, but perhaps two may fit in a 55, i would wait for other members recommendations.

German blue rams, electric blue rams, and golden rams are the same fish i think, just different colour strains. they are cichlids, so they are territorial. they like soft, slightly acidic water, and are sensitive, so they need high quality water conditions. They may attach similar looking fish, such a s dwarf gouramis and small angles, although this varys with personality.
my GBR killed a small angle and beat up a dwarf gourami, but tolerates pearl gouramis. he is colourful, and is protective of the small female i added, but i will need to wait before i will know if they decide to pair.

Bolivain rams are hardier, but i do not know much about them, i have never kept them.

OP
bencross

bencross

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks for the info. the petco near my place has but gbr have ich now but they are calling me when they are better i special ordered a ggr (german gold ram) two. so ima get one of each. and will they pair off if they r male and female by any chance?? thank you. oh and how can i tell if my water if soft water? i have a dozen of fish that are doing fine in their.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have to be careful with GBR's. If you are getting them from petco they more than likely came from a commercial breeder so they may look pretty but the quality might be an issue. You will need to keep the water parameters pristine and stable other wise they may not live more than a month or 2.

The only time I have had success in keeping GBR's is when I got them from a local breeder.

I have since got rid of them since I am some what lazy and don't want to always have to stay on top of my fish tanks so I went with Kribs in my 55 and apistos in my breeder (Apistogramma Cacatuoide). Those two fish are alot more tolerant of water conditions than GBR's and IMO just as good looking esp the apistos.

One note is that the kribs are very friendly to other non-cichlid community fish except during a spawn (which they do frequently). The my krib pairs also don't get along with one another at all so I only have one pair in a 55.

The apistos are pretty much the same except I have multiple females per each male in the breeder. The apisto territory isnt as big as the kribs either.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 66.7%

Top Bottom