Ram Cichlid Gender Id Help! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Owen88, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Owen88

Owen88Valued MemberMember

So I just went to my Lfs and asked for a female “small one” for my male to spawn with. But I think they gave me another male. Is this normal I just added the smaller one 15 minutes ago. They are shaking at each other like they’ll go sideways and shake and they have also locked mouths a few times. 99f1bc3b8326a69dcb88993e49079834.jpg7365b1e9c9de99969af89c63cc95fd5a.jpg0c6ffd662cfe641c27ba1d072cae62dc.jpg

2. phantom

phantomValued MemberMember

lol no idea

3. OP
    OP
    Owen88

How exactly is two fish fighting and potentially killing each other funny. Would you like to go through $10 in the trash and kick a puppy??

4. phantom

phantomValued MemberMember

did not know there fighting I meant no offence thought they were doing some weird mateing ritual or something seriously sry

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

That is the beginning of the mating dance. If they lock lips and shake there is a good chance they will mate. If one looses its nerve you will need to separate them. Cichlids play rough.

6. OP
    OP
    Owen88

How do I know if one of them snaps. Because they will fight and then break up for a few seconds and then start hanging out again then fight then stop then hang out and fight again!!

7. CraniumRex

CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

My experience with Bolivians - and I have 6 - some of them can be dinks (sorry for the terminology) - I had to separate one of my males out because even with sightline breaks, he would chase other fish all over the tank. Now that he's been moved to another tank solo, the remaining fish are generally fine, except at mealtimes where there can be a lot of posturing but no damage done.

If the one fish has been in there for any length of time, it may view the newcomer as taking over territory. Try to always introduce new cichlids when it's dark in the tank and change the decor around to reset the territory beforehand.

Bolivians are very hard to sex - do you have any close up photos? Is the fish on the left the newcomer? The only definitive is vent sexing and these look too young but possibly female. That said, males will do this with males, and males with females (though not my experience with females, more chasing off and ramming than anything).

Try ensuring you have territory markers in the tank - each fish needs about 10" square. Break up lines of sight with plants and divide the tank with something like a piece of driftwood. If the older fish is aggressive, try a time out in another tank or even a bucket. Rearrange the decor, turn off the lights (and leave them off for at least 24 hrs) and reintroduce the initial fish to see how it goes.

When they lip lock, it can be signs of working out the hierarchy. The dominant fish will have the strongest markings while the others fade a bit. In lip locking, he or she who lets go first loses.

If they intend to mate, and BTW they may not - the best way is to have a group and let them choose - you will see them hang out a lot, it's usually pretty obvious. Hopefully you have one of each and they like each other.

Good luck.

8. OP
    OP
    Owen88

the original has only been in the tank for 3 days.

9. CraniumRex

CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Cichlids be cichlids. Mine mine mine mine MINE.

10. OP
    OP
    Owen88

UPDATE
    So it’s the nexts morning and I don’t see any ripped fins and they seem to have calmed down a lot they still shake at each other but I haven’t seen them lockjaws yet and they’re still hanging out with each other they aren’t scaring each other off to the other end they’re still hanging out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice