Ram Breeding Questions

ErikaCA

Hi all! This is my first post. I'm Erika from California. Hope it's okay to post in this thread. I've been breeding rams for less than one year, but I think I'm hooked. They're such fun little fish! I have been breeding black rams, but just recently I have crossed
  • standard fin black male x longfin electric blue female (fry now 13 days old)
  • longfin electric blue male x standard fin black female (eggs)
None of the surviving fry appear to be very dark; there is quite a bit of pigment on them, some more than others, but their eyes do not appear to be black. I have never been a patient person, and I'm dying to know what I will end up with. I'd love to develop my own line, but with my limited knowledge and stock, I don't know if that's truly possible.

Does anyone have photos of fry at around 2-4 weeks of age of GBR, gold, electric blue, and black; so that I can compare? Also, please, at what age will I be able to tell if they will develop long fins?

Attachments

• male 12-5-21x1.jpg
    male 12-5-21x1.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 2
  • female 7-6-21.jpg
    female 7-6-21.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 2

ProudPapa

Hello Erika, and welcome to the forum. coralbandit would be the person to help with that. Hopefully he'll see this and reply.

coralbandit

If you search my threads you will find all sorts of fry .
My Youtube has tanks galore with fry a various stages .
Here is one video to get to my youtube ~

ErikaCA

If you search my threads you will find all sorts of fry .
My Youtube has tanks galore with fry a various stages .
Here is one video to get to my youtube ~
Thank you; I'll do a search. I am looking for up-close photos of young fry to try to figure out what I have. It was easy to distinguish blacks from golds, but I'm curious with EBxblack.

You are a legend around these parts, and I'm so stoked to have gotten a response from you! :)

coralbandit

You will clearly see the difference between golds and blacks in the same spawn by 2 weeks !

1640042056167.png
Not my pics but in the top Right pick you can see the gold and the black fry . That may even be at 1 week old .

Dunk2

Not great, but this is the best picture I could find of a Gold (left in picture) and Blue (center). This was at about 3 weeks.

Like coralbandit picture, the Golds were clearly gold even at a very young age. In my case, the Blues were sort of grayish. Parents were both Blues.

BF7472FB-29A6-4FCA-AB12-29C8BD061F40.jpeg

ErikaCA

Not great, but this is the best picture I could find of a Gold (left in picture) and Blue (center). This was at about 3 weeks.

Like coralbandit picture, the Golds were clearly gold even at a very young age. In my case, the Blues were sort of grayish.

BF7472FB-29A6-4FCA-AB12-29C8BD061F40.jpeg
Thank you, this helps! With that information, I do not believe any in my batch are golds, as they do have some pigment and aren't that light in color.
Here is a recent pic of the fry. It's a poor quality photo, unfortunately. I believe the fry are too dark to be golds, and too light to be black. I can't seem to find a similar photo of an EB fry to compare to.
12-19-21 ish.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmlore
Replies
Views
Cale24
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question