Ram and Gourami Spitting Tetra Bits

axel
I feed my rams and gourami tetra bits and they always spit it out and then eat it again only to spit it out again. Should I stick to tetra bits until they get used to it?

Fashooga
You need to look at trying other foods and see if they'll eat that. If you have a friend that can give you a small amount to feed that would be idea vs. just buying a whole thing of food only to find out they don't like it.

Are they new to the tank? If so they might not be used to the food that you are giving them. That might take time.

Also spitting is also a sign of a possible internal parasite. Keep an eye out for white stringy poo or if they are uninterested when the food drops.

pablothebetta
This is probably normal behavior. I have tetras, rasboras, danios, and a betta, and they all will occasionally spit out food and then eat it again. Sometimes they will do this multiple times with the same fish flake or pellet(of course they will still eventually eat it). I never thought much of it - I always figured it was their way of chewing the food. I don't think it's b/c they don't like their food since they all go crazy for it.
The only reason to be concerned would be if they spit out their food and became totally uninterested in it. In that case, they may be picky eaters or sick with a parasite like the post above mentioned.
Regardless, it is always good to feed your fish a variety of food.

techfool
0.5mm NLS pellets work for me, they don't have time to spit it out before it's down the hatch.

axel
You need to look at trying other foods and see if they'll eat that. If you have a friend that can give you a small amount to feed that would be idea vs. just buying a whole thing of food only to find out they don't like it.

Are they new to the tank? If so they might not be used to the food that you are giving them. That might take time.

Also spitting is also a sign of a possible internal parasite. Keep an eye out for white stringy poo or if they are uninterested when the food drops.
they don't spit bloodworm and minced shrimp though. Slurp it like spaghetti
0.5mm NLS pellets work for me, they don't have time to spit it out before it's down the hatch.
I'll give it a try

Fashooga
Sounds like picky eaters.

axel
Sounds like picky eaters.
Should I just keep feeding them with tetra bits?

Fashooga
They'll have to realize that it's food eventually. Like forcing a kid to eat veggies...It's good to mix up your food once in a while. I feed my fishes a variety of flakes, pellets and raw shrimp.

If your feeding bloodworms every day the fish will only want that. It's like a guy who only eats pizza every day and somebody gives him a salad...he'll balk at it.

Aqua 59
I feed my rams and gourami tetra bits and they always spit it out and then eat it again only to spit it out again. Should I stick to tetra bits until they get used to it?
My fish used to always spit out their food- after a little while they got used to it. Probably okay, just keep an eye on it.

axel
My fish used to always spit out their food- after a little while they got used to it. Probably okay, just keep an eye on it.
I hope so

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
kbn
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover