Raising temp for ich

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Disease' started by Kamie427, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Kamie427Valued MemberMember

will my corals survive a temperature raise from 78 to 84 degrees? And how do I know when my water is cleared of ich? I don't have any fish because it killed my only beauty. I've done a couple 50% water changes. And my temperature has been at 82 degrees for about 2 days now. My LFS guy told me no more than 84, but i'm getting nervous....

2. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I've never heard of heat treatment for marine ich. It's a completely different parasite than FW ich. I'm thinking you may not be getting great advice from your LFS. ;)

Now that there are no fish in your tank, all you have to do is run the tank fallow (without fish) for at least 6-8 weeks. The parasite cannot survive without a host.

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kamie427Valued MemberMember

great to know! no fun waiting, but I'll be thankful when the ich is gone.
    Thank you :)

4. locoyo386

locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Quick note, it is believe that the heat will make the cyst reproduce faster and in term make their life cycle faster. I have not found any evidence of this though. Another thing to note is that it is beleive that sometimes when no host is present the cyst can lay dormant for quite a while. Again I have not found proof of this either.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. nemo addict

nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

the above comments are founded , heat will make the life cycle speed up, another point is that a fish is not needed to host it can survive a while on corals and rock with out a fish host, this is how a lot of people import in from lfs on corals, i would run a uv on tank for a few weeks before you introduce anymore fish, this will kill the free floating spores and keep moving your power head around your rock and corals

6. locoyo386

Personally I think that the UV sterilizers are overated. They need to be really big in order to really do any good. Just my opinion though.

7. locoyo386

Can you point me the documentation that shows that, I have not yet found anything that is not opinion.

8. nemo addict

nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

Can you point me the documentation that shows that, I have not yet found anything that is not opinion

9. locoyo386

That's exactly it, it's all opinion. The UV units work by removing (referred to as filtering) unwanted free floating microscopic water borne bacteria, parasitic, fungal, viral, algae, and other unfriendly pathogens out of aquarium water by exposing it to high intensity ultra-violet (UV) light. Thus the wattage of the unit, flow rate of the water through the UV unit and the growth rate of the organisms determines how effective the unit can be.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice