Raising Platy fry!

Fishfriendkeeper

Went to LFS today to return a mean fish. Came back with a gold twinbar platy (f). Anyways, at my LFS I was talking to the person who works there about my GH, and they said removing sea shells would lower it. My dad always added sea shells, which is why they were in there. So, when I went home I removed the shells. Accidentally bumped a plant and out swam a little fish. After a thrilling chase of him being chased from one of my swordtails, he settled at the top underneath a leaf. Fed my fish for distraction, then caught the little guy and put him in a breeder box. Don’t have a spare tank, at least not one with a heater/filter or that is cycled.

The little guy probably isn’t even a day old. Not 100% sure who the mother is. The father is either one of my tri-color males or my male swordtail. Leaning more towards tri-color since my swordtail doesn’t bother the platies and has his own girlfriends.

I think the mother is my red calico platy, since the little guy has small black spots similar to hers. My orange Mickey has been big, but I think she’s fat since she’s been like that for a while. The new one definitely isn’t pregnant and the baby doesn’t resemble her at all. Could be my sunburst tuxedo, but she’s relatively new and has only been in the tank a week, with barely any appearance of males.

Sorry for the long post, but is there anything specific I should get to raise the little guy? Specific food, specific chemicals, anything? Feeding Fluval spirulina bug bite flakes, maybe buying color enhancing, also feeding bloodworms and spirulina brine shrimp. Might get Kens fry food .1 mm pellets. Any advice on how to raise them either? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

Ghelfaire

Livebearers are super easy to raise. When they're newborns they will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths. If you have anything with algae on it they'll nibble on that. Any fish food made for newborns or ground into a powder works as a main diet.

emeraldking

Just crush or ground the food you give to the adults and the newborns will be fine.

Fishfriendkeeper

Might get hikari first bites and brine shrimp eggs or spirulina powder. I will most likely just be feeding the little guy the fry food for a while until he’s bigger then I’ll start feeding him the bug bites. I assume I can feed fry food to adult platies as well?

Sewerrat

Always just crumbled flakes the more cover you have the higher survival rate will be for the fry

Fishfriendkeeper

Always just crumbled flakes the more cover you have the higher survival rate will be for the fry
Ya, I don’t think here’s any more fry in my tank. Probably all got eaten since I have cover but not a lot. I’ve got one big plant where I found the fry hiding, one smaller plant where I don’t see any fry, one small cave with no fry, one small log that I didn’t check, and the main cave which I also didn’t check, but my fish have been in there so there might not be fry in there.

In the breeder box where my fry is, I lined the bottom with gravel and am buying small plants to put in there for cover so it isn’t as stressed. Also planning to add a few to bottom of tank for any fry still in tank. Since it’s just one I plan on keeping the fry. I can currently house either gender and am not planning on buying fish for a while. Hopefully the little guy survives!!!

Noroomforshoe

The bug bites are good food, crush a very small amount and feed him at least 3 times a day. Make sure that his box dosent get dirty.
I just found the ingrediants of kens fry food, its not that good, I would stick with the bug bites. or try

New Life Spectrum Grow Fry Starter Natural Growth Enhancing Diet Small Pellet​

Live bearing fry are very hardy, you dont have to worry TOO much.

Fishfriendkeeper

The bug bites are good food, crush a very small amount and feed him at least 3 times a day. Make sure that his box dosent get dirty.
I just found the ingrediants of kens fry food, its not that good, I would stick with the bug bites. or try

New Life Spectrum Grow Fry Starter Natural Growth Enhancing Diet Small Pellet​

Live bearing fry are very hardy, you dont have to worry TOO much.
The place I’m buying from sadly is out of the NLS fry small pellets. That would be my first choice otherwise. My second choice since you said kens isn’t good is hikari first bites, and to vary their diet I’m also getting brine shrimp eggs and maybe spirulina powder?

Noroomforshoe

The place I’m buying from sadly is out of the NLS fry small pellets. That would be my first choice otherwise. My second choice since you said kens isn’t good is hikari first bites, and to vary their diet I’m also getting brine shrimp eggs and maybe spirulina powder?
Hikari makes junk food, please consider ordering somthing better on line, or just feed crushed bug bites. They will be better off.

Fishfriendkeeper

Hikari makes junk food, please consider ordering somthing better on line, or just feed crushed bug bites. They will be better off.
What about sera micron fry food? Is that good?

Noroomforshoe

Yes , I just looked up the ingredients, it looks like good stuff. Its powder though, its made for really tiny fry that hatched out of eggs and I dont know if the larger fry will eat it before it turns to mulm. I realised a moment ago that the new life spectrum gro stuff is also powder. I have been feeding baby swordtail fish and babby dwarf rainbow fish new life spectrum thera + A smalll pellets.
Spiralina is a great product. but im not sure if the fish will eat it as a straight up powder. I could go try it with my swords and let you know what happens. I have the powder for making fish food. And i have young swordtails.

They love algae though, they have been grazing on it all day and night. Do you have any algae covered deco that would fit in the breeder box?

update = Nope, they did not eat the powder, but my babbies are not teeny tiny. You can try a bit of boiled egg yolk, see if the like that.

Fishfriendkeeper

Yes , I just looked up the ingredients, it looks like good stuff. Its powder though, its made for really tiny fry that hatched out of eggs and I dont know if the larger fry will eat it before it turns to mulm. I realised a moment ago that the new life spectrum gro stuff is also powder. I have been feeding baby swordtail fish and babby dwarf rainbow fish new life spectrum thera + A smalll pellets.
Spiralina is a great product. but im not sure if the fish will eat it as a straight up powder. I could go try it with my swords and let you know what happens. I have the powder for making fish food. And i have young swordtails.

They love algae though, they have been grazing on it all day and night. Do you have any algae covered deco that would fit in the breeder box?
Ok, thanks for the information. And no, all the decor in my tank is too big for the breeder box. I did put some gravel in the box that’s coated in algae, so that should be good, right?

Noroomforshoe

Ok, thanks for the information. And no, all the decor in my tank is too big for the breeder box. I did put some gravel in the box that’s coated in algae, so that should be good, right?
and some bug bites yes,

Flyfisha

A word of caution.
Although this is obvious we are all human and make mistakes especially with a tiny life under our supervision.

I can’t stress enough how little the stomach is of the fry. You need to be careful feeding crushed up adults food or whatever you rush off and buy. Yes feed 3 or 4 times per day . But not a pinch of food each time.
A tiny amount.

Ghelfaire mentioned adding any old ornaments or things with algae on them including old gravel . And yet a few posts later you wrote of buying new gravel for the breeding box. You are missing the message. It needs to eat the algae that is on item in ever estimated tank . It does not need new sterile gravel.

The purpose of my reply is to recommend learning to use a very small paint brush to flick a tiny amount of dust.

Fishfriendkeeper

A word of caution.
Although this is obvious we are all human and make mistakes especially with a tiny life under our supervision.

I can’t stress enough how little the stomach is of the fry. You need to be careful feeding crushed up adults food or whatever you rush off and buy. Yes feed 3 or 4 times per day . But not a pinch of food each time.
A tiny amount.

Ghelfaire mentioned adding any old ornaments or things with algae on them including old gravel . And yet a few posts later you wrote of buying new gravel for the breeding box. You are missing the message. It needs to eat the algae that is on item in ever estimated tank . It does not need new sterile gravel.

The purpose of my reply is to recommend learning to use a very small paint brush to flick a tiny amount of dust.
Never said new gravel, it’s gravel from the main tank that is coated in algae. And yes I know that it has to be a very tiny amount especially since it’s only one fry. Really hoping this little fry survives, gonna take the best care of it as I can.

Fishfriendkeeper

and some bug bites yes,
Would it be better to feed it spirulina bug bites or color enhancing? I have both, and can feed both if you think it’s better

Flyfisha

My mistake you wrote you are buying new plants just for cover.
If you add a couple of leaves from the old established plants in the main tank you will also be adding food.

To answer your question.
Feed whatever you are feeding the adults after you have crushed it to very fine dust. Feed both but it won’t require much. Especially if you can provide the food from the bottom of the tank that it was already eating when you found it ins the plant.

Fishfriendkeeper

My mistake you wrote you are buying new plants just for cover.
If you add a couple of leaves from the old established plants in the main tank you will also be adding food.

To answer your question.
Feed whatever you are feeding the adults after you have crushed it to very fine dust. Feed both but it won’t require much. Especially if you can provide the food from the bottom of the tank that it was already eating when you found it ins the plant.
Ok thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joseph28
  • AnnaP
  • Platy
Replies
Views
CoryMaster151

Did You Know...

We have aquarium plant care profiles with pictures and care information!
Aquarium Plant Profiles

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom