Help Raising Ph With Seashells

FancyBubbles

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My cory tank is currently slightly acidic, 6.8. It has gone down from 7.6 to 6.8 in about 2 weeks. I'm wanting to raise the ph slowly by putting real seashells on top of my Tetra Whisper Filter. It has no cover or anything, and I'm not using their standard carbon filter cartridge. I'm also aware that the shells can dissolve. But mine aren't the powdery type. I'm also probably not going to leave them in their that long anyway to the point where the degrading of shells is noticeable.

At the very bottom of the filter where the water first comes up, there's a filter media sponge. On top of the sponge are fluval ceramic rings.

Should I take them out? Is this alright to do? I have several decorations in my cory tank, and putting shells on the ground of the tank would sort of crowd their "grazing space" and I'm worried they'll accidentally bump into the shells when they're diving.

Yeah I don't have a tank lid. My 2 tanks are covered with some screenings that I got from the craft store. Incase you're wondering why my tank "lid" looks funny.
43363fecb5e4d7343e127a2733799937.jpg

OP
FancyBubbles

FancyBubbles

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Question is why ?
Is it just best to take them out? My ph level has been going down and I don't want my water to become too acidic.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know your kH?
What source of water are you using?

pH of 6.8 is nothing to be concerned over....

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FancyBubbles said:
Is it just best to take them out? My ph level has been going down and I don't want my water to become too acidic.
Ph 6,8 is perfect for Corys.
But as mentioned above Kh/Gh is important (prevents Ph swings : buffering)

OP
FancyBubbles

FancyBubbles

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Ph 6,8 is perfect for Corys.
But as mentioned above Kh/Gh is important (prevents Ph swings : buffering)
I'm not necessarily worried about the ph level now, but the fact that it's dropping.

I don't have a test kit for kh tho, is there a kit that I can buy and if so, which one/brand?
ed6f30fe8877d9c5a133ad7171e8ff5b.jpg

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, the shells might raise the hardness which prevents the swings of the Ph.

I am based in Europe, so not too familiar with testkits overthere (Seachem, API ???)

OP
FancyBubbles

FancyBubbles

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubleDutch said:
Yeah, the shells might raise the hardness which prevents the swings of the Ph.

I am based in Europe, so not too familiar with testkits overthere (Seachem, API ???)
Oop, taking a break from late night studying atm, most likely sleep in a few minutes. Currently 2 in the morning over here.

Anyways, I currently use API master test kit for my other testing. Looked up on Amazon and there is a liquid test kit for kh available from API. I'll be getting that soon.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FancyBubbles said:
Oop, taking a break from late night studying atm, most likely sleep in a few minutes. Currently 2 in the morning over here.

Anyways, I currently use API master test kit for my other testing. Looked up on Amazon and there is a liquid test kit for kh available from API. I'll be getting that soon.
Sleep well !

New Threads