40 Gallon Tank Raising ph by very minimal amounts?

Zain8182

Hey everybody, I am gonna keep a 40g breeder tank, and I am a little bit concerned about my taps PH. Now I know a few tenths of PH is nothing to get worried over really, but it would just put my mind at ease to know it’s possible. My tap is around 7.3 PH, and I would like to raise it to around 7.6, as some of the snails I have researched(and I want to keep) have 7.5 listed as the bare minimum, and a lot of the fish want harder water.

So basically my question is this: how can I
raise the PH by extremely small amounts? Will super tiny doses of baking soda while constantly checking PH do the trick? I do want to make it stable eventually so I would like a long term solution to this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frank the Fish guy

Yes, baking soda will raise the KH and the pH.

You can use about 1/4 teaspon to raise KH by 1 degree. pH will go up too. Start with that.

Upvote 0

MacZ

So basically my question is this: how can I
raise the PH by extremely small amounts? Will super tiny doses of baking soda while constantly checking PH do the trick? I do want to make it stable eventually so I would like a long term solution to this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
First of all:
Considering the actual precision of our testkits the difference of 0.2 is miniscule and a change more or less unnecessary.
Secondly: If you want a stable raise, use limestone or crushed coral. Problem: It will raise GH and KH until saturation, ending you up with liquid rock. Otherwise there is no way of raising KH to a stable level. Redosing with every waterchange will be necessary.
Thirdly: NEVER mess around with pH unless you know your KH.

You can just leave everything as is, there have to be higher numbers necessary and thus bigger changes to warrant any pH-manipulation.

Upvote 0

Zain8182

First of all:
Considering the actual precision of our testkits the difference of 0.2 is miniscule and a change more or less unnecessary.
Secondly: If you want a stable raise, use limestone or crushed coral. Problem: It will raise GH and KH until saturation, ending you up with liquid rock. Otherwise there is no way of raising KH to a stable level. Redosing with every waterchange will be necessary.
Thirdly: NEVER mess around with pH unless you know your KH.

You can just leave everything as is, there have to be higher numbers necessary and thus bigger changes to warrant any pH-manipulation.
So will this ph be fine for the snails and fish that want harder water? I know keeping a stable ph is more important than an optimal one but I always obsess over tiny details like this I don’t know why

Upvote 0

GlennO

What species of snail and fish are we talking about and what's your tap water GH?

Upvote 0

Frank the Fish guy

BTW here is a great product to make soft water harder, raising KH,GH and pH.

sera GH/KH-plus | sera

Folks around where I live have very soft water and we use this to make the water harder for our hardwater fish and snails.

It comes with good instructions and is simple. No worries.

I just spoon it into the filter after a water change.

Upvote 0

Zain8182

What species of snail and fish are we talking about and what's your tap water GH?
2-3 Giant Sulawesi rabbit snails,6 honey gouramis, 1 mystery snail,3 hillstreams (i know they prefer higher flow but according to everything I’ve read, they are super hardy and will thrive/breed in almost all decent conditions) and 3 halfbeaks. I am gonna try to keep some neocaridina in there, try to get as much cover and plants as possible, if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work oh well.

I honestly don’t know my tap water’s GH and I won’t be able to test it for another week or so. I’ve kind of been stuck overseas for 5 years and I’m finally going back to america, according to online tests from what Ive seen my tap water is pretty hard. As soon as I get there I’ll test the water and update.

according to one of those water quality websites where you put in your zipcode it’s 40 ppm gh which is really low right?
BTW here is a great product to make soft water harder, raising KH,GH and pH.

sera GH/KH-plus | sera

Folks around where I live have very soft water and we use this to make the water harder for our hardwater fish and snails.

It comes with good instructions and is simple. No worries.

I just spoon it into the filter after a water change.
Will this mainly increase the GH and KH? My PH doesn’t need that much improvement but my GH is apparently really lacking
I also just learned from these public websites that my copper is at a dangerously high level for fish…around 0.05 mg/L but it also lists the national average around that so I don’t think it’s really that trustworthy… this has made me cautiously optimistic, can’t wait to test my water. The PH might be slightly harder, the GH might be a lot better, who knows? All I can say is that this thread right now is kind of for nothing without knowing the parameters for sure, and I’ll update in a week or two when I can test the water

Upvote 0

MacZ

2-3 Giant Sulawesi rabbit snails,6 honey gouramis, 1 mystery snail,3 hillstreams
I see absolutely no reason why you should do anything about your readings. And also,
I know keeping a stable ph is more important than an optimal one but I always obsess over tiny details like this I don’t know why
Stability is a myth once you have significant amounts of live plants in your tank, with or without CO2 doesn't matter. There are changes between pH of 0.5 to 1 points between day and night in a planted tank without CO2, day/night differences of +/- 2 and sometimes 3 are possible in high tech tanks with CO2. As this happens over the course of hours, though, it's harmless.
It's not about the amplitude, it's about the time it takes.

All I can say is that this thread right now is kind of for nothing without knowing the parameters for sure, and I’ll update in a week or two when I can test the water
Correct. Though it's likely in estimation that your levels will be just fine. With a pH above 7 it's unlikely your GH/KH readings are dangerously low. I can't speak for the sulawesi snails, but the other animals are fine with GH and KH around 3-4° (which is for sure snail safe). The fish could go as low as 0 and pH at 5-6, no problem.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I can't speak for the sulawesi snails, but the other animals are fine with GH and KH around 3-4° (which is for sure snail safe). The fish could go as low as 0 and pH at 5-6, no problem.
Halfbeaks were mentioned which may require harder water.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Halfbeaks were mentioned which may require harder water.
Missed those. Maybe. If those are also from Sulawesi it's high GH, low pH/KH. Nonetheless I doubt there is any change to the parameters warranted.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Peaches1710
  • pH
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
  • Roboticsbede
  • pH
Replies
Views