Raising Kh For Mystery Snails? Question

1. orangeclumsy1 Member Member

I know snails need harder water. I just tested my kH and after 5 drops it turned from blue to yellow which i believe is 85ish ppm. I'm fairly certain this isn't hard enough so I'd like some advice on how to raise the kH in my tank. There is driftwood in my tank which I believe is what lowered it to begin with. (The tap water in my area tends to be on the harder side.)

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe it's the GH you should be testing for to determine whether your water is hard enough for snails. KH stabilizes your pH and if it's at 5 drops, your pH is pretty stable. Do you know your GH?

3. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

@el337 you are right with that. Calcium is the mineral you need enough of for Snail shell health. You can add calcium to your Snail food to help with that. Or you can add cuttlebone to your tank. The snails love it. They snack on it, and it adds calcium to their diet too. But veggies high in calcium like zucchini and kale will both work too.

With a kH of 5, that is borderline too low for your pH to remain stable though. So the driftwood may need to be removed.

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Personally, I think the KH at 5 drops is fine. That's where mine has always been (with the addition of Seachem Alkaline Buffer) and my pH hasn't budged. :)

5. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

My KH is 4, very stable pH.

6. orangeclumsy1 Member Member

Ohhhhh I see. I'm blanching zucchini for them every day right now and plan on making some snail jello with zucchini baby food. I also work at a pet store so it'll be super easy to get some cuttlebone and stuff. But won't the cuttlebone float? How should i anchor it in my tank? Should I crush it up in the water or just put the whole enchilada in there?

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Providing calcium rich foods are good for them but you would still want the water to have a high enough GH (about 10dGH min). Do you know your GH out of the tap and tank?

You can just add the cuttlebone whole. If you're adding the cuttlebone to your filter, it will eventually sink but you can put a filter media on top of it to weigh it down until it does.

8. James17 Well Known Member Member

I just break Cuttle Bones in half and drop in the tank, when the snails need it they go for it, they sink in a few days for me.