Raising GH with Equilibrium

SuperBobbyDaz

Hi Everyone. First time posting so please be gentle!!

About 8 weeks in to a new 100L planted tank. Have had great success with 0 Ammonium, nitrate and Nitrite readings after cycle. Ph a steady 7.

Stocked with Guppies, bristle nose and neon tetras and RCS and Amano’s.

We lost a few of the RCS early, and one had the classic white ring of death so have looked into GH and KH testing.

GH is showing 4 and KH 3 degrees hardness from the API test kit.

Have brought Equilibrium to raise the GH to a target 8, but wanted the advise on how to treat.

My maths have come out at about 30g to add, but know I need to do it gradually to avoid shock.

Was thinking of just adding 5g direct to the tank every day over 6 days (testing after every day).

Any thoughts on that approach??

GlennO

Sounds ok. Thereafter you’ll need to add it to each water change. I suggest adding some crushed coral to your filter. It will reduce the need for Equilibrium.

SuperBobbyDaz

Sounds ok. Thereafter you’ll need to add it to each water change. I suggest adding some crushed coral to your filter. It will reduce the need for Equilibrium.
Thanks GlennO.

Will look into that, based on the specs above any guidance on how much to add?

GlennO

It’s not a precise method and takes some time to dissolve, start with about half a cup and adjust over time with testing.

SuperBobbyDaz

Thank you GlennO.
Really appreciate the fast response.

SuperBobbyDaz

Just an update on this for anyone who might find useful in the future. I used the method I discussed above for just 2 days (5g per day) and got very close to the results I wanted.

My hardness tested this morning at KH 8 and GH 7 degrees.

Only mystery is why the KH has risen so dramatically as I thought Equilibrium was not meant to affect this.

GlennO

Strange about KH. Equilibrium does not contain carbonates so does not affect KH. Might be an issue with test accuracy.

SuperBobbyDaz

Hi everyone. Just another update for anyone looking into this.

have just tested the water again, and KH is back at 2 and GH at 7.

Unfortunately woke up this morning to one of the Guppies belly up. The wife noticed it acting strangely yesterday almost “falling over” into the plants.

I have two theories here, one is that I may have overfed, and it is swim bladder (but it seemed to be OK swimming at the top), or that this may have been shock from raising the GH too quickly.

If anyone is following this, just to rule it out I would leave a gap between the dosing just to be on the safe side.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bentley
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
StevieBubbles
  • Question
Replies