Raising Fry, A Few Are Dieing....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jmarks, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jmarksValued MemberMember

I have a batch of electric blue acaras that are a few months old now. About once a week or once every two weeks, I find one that has died. I am struggling to figure out what the issue is. Upon investigation, they appear as if they got "stopped up" and possibly became infected and couldnt poo. Their anal area would be discolored and swollen. Yesterday, I removed the latest and took the below picture....viewers beware! I basically popped his belly like a pimple.

Any udeas as to what this is from? Water parameters are all fine and they get a 30% water change every 4-6 days. They are fed Omega One flakes, twice daily.

IMG954058.jpg

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Seems like that's what it is.

They could have been constipated, but I am not 100% sure.

3. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Common problem in bettas and fry. They are literally getting backed up. When feeding young fish dry food, try soaking it beforehand. It softens it up and they can digest it easier. Feeding them too much too often can also cause it.

4. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Personally I would focus on live or frozen for fry. A good culture is pretty easy to keep.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice