Raising Food For Big Carnivores

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
I will build 500 g for silver arowana 3 oscars and some bottom fish like plecos and bichirs(silver dollars to).i know this isnt moraly right but can i have stable diet for them with worms mealworms and maggots that i grow crickets ,grasshoppers that i cacth ,fillets of chicken,rabbits,quails and some days mollies that i grow in my heavy planted 55 gallon tub pond

And how much should i need to feed them per day

Reason for this is that in my country we dont have food for carnivores fish and if we do which is very rare it is only oneor two feeding and that cost 20 dollars

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The insects and fish you've listed should be fine, but I would not feed them mammal or bird meat - different proteins and they aren't always easily digestible. Can you find a pellet food that would work?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Large pellets will work but foods like prawns, shrimp, scallops and fish fillets will be good too. I’d get the frozen kind, like for people to eat, and chop it all to size then refreeze it in smaller packages for seperate feedings. You can also make your own dried/frozen food mixes with other human foods (veggies) for silver dollars and plecos.

Of course worms and the like will work too, but i can’t see a large arrowana going after little maggots and such.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My carnivores all love a pellet called Fluval bug bites, which is made from salmon and blackfly larvae.

You can make the same stuff from almost whatever fish and plentiful insect is available. Basically you mix it up as a paste, with some extra vitamins and something like food starch as a binder, and then dry it out in little cookies.

You can just break these up and feed them to the fish.

But without preservatives this will rot quickly so you can't keep too much if you have any humidity in the air at all.

It can certainly be frozen which will increase the life.

I have read that if you intend to breed Oscars they almost always need live crunchy insects as food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom