Raising Brine Shrimp

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Hello, I am trying to raise brine shrimp to adults, I am wondering what kind of solution I should make, I was hoping to use a 5 gallon container.
What filtration should I add to their container? Is it safe to add an air sponge filter?
How much salt to water ratio should I use to raise these brine shrimp to adults?
What pH is ideal for the fastest growth of brine shrimp?
What temperature is the best for growing brine shrimp?
When should I start feeding the babies? How long does their egg sac last? And what should I feed them? I am looking for a nice guide to raising baby brine shrimp to adults, the internet is not detailed at all. Please somebody help me. Thanks.

coralbandit

As I understand the long and short is they are pretty difficult to raise ..
If you managed all the tricks be aware they are then only as nutritious as what you fed them ..
BBS are very nutritous due to their egg sac when eaten by fry and not the shrimp [ meaning being fed with hours of being hatched ] .
I hatch BBS every day for last 3-4 years ! 3 batches a day for last year or so ..
I never had any luck trying to raise my own to adulthood and research into proper feeding of my fish led me to realize they weren't worth it ..
I get my eggs from BSD and they are the best so this info may be better then other stuff you have found ?

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

coralbandit said:
As I understand the long and short is they are pretty difficult to raise ..
If you managed all the tricks be aware they are then only as nutritious as what you fed them ..
BBS are very nutritous due to their egg sac when eaten by fry and not the shrimp [ meaning being fed with hours of being hatched ] .
I hatch BBS every day for last 3-4 years ! 3 batches a day for last year or so ..
I never had any luck trying to raise my own to adulthood and research into proper feeding of my fish led me to realize they weren't worth it ..
I get my eggs from BSD and they are the best so this info may be better then other stuff you have found ?

Yes my work completely failed, water was left stinking up full of dead baby brine shrimp all around the container. I had a minI sponge filter going on, Fed them spirulina powder/bakers yeast. Not sure if it was because of the culturing solution or because of the poor water quality. However I made sure the temp didn’t pass 80 nor did it go below 75. Not sure about the Ph or the salinity. Maybe the ammonia? Around 97% of them died so I just tossed the whole thing in the trash. Useless project. Do adult brine shrimp even have nutrients? Are they even worth it?

coralbandit

I teach my big fish to eat BBS if they want live food from me !
I need to make it for fry and other fish that eat small live food daily so ?
I rarely feed frozen brine shrimp adults and I would think 'wild / farm ' raised would be most nutritious as opposed to what ever we could do ..
It seemed a daunting task for me and I get the hang of a lot of stuff..

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Do U think my discus would eat them? They’re pretty big, if I can hatch a bunch, clean the salt, and put them in my bloodworm feeder? Do you think the larger discus will eat them? I also have neon tetras that will enjoy them too. What’s more healthy for fish bbs or adult brine shrimp

coralbandit

BBS fresh hatched are most nutritious ..It is the eggs sac from the baby shrimp .
I feed it to my discus .They are not as ravenous as my rams or swordtails but I think they eat it ..
My 2 pairs spawn every week?

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

coralbandit said:
BBS fresh hatched are most nutritious ..It is the eggs sac from the baby shrimp .
I feed it to my discus .They are not as ravenous as my rams or swordtails but I think they eat it ..
2 pairs spawn every week?
No I wish lol, I just have a simple tank, 3 discus are in it, I can’t tell which is a male or female. There’s one giant oval one but idk. The others are more flat on the top not as oval-ish If you know what I mean. Do you think they’ll be able to see the Baby brine shrimp? I mean I can barley see them I use a minI hand held microscope to look at them. I hope the larger discus can eat them. I don’t like to feed blood worms a lot and I’m not sure if the spectrum flakes are enough nutrients for those larger discus.

coralbandit

Meant y 2 pair spawn every week !
I think they eat the BBS but it is not super noticeable .
The fish need to learn to eat it .It could take weeks ..
I feed my discus Freeze Dried Australian Black worms every day with the BBS and slow sinking 1mm pellets. They have grown well IMO ..

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

coralbandit said:
Meant y 2 pair spawn every week !
I think they eat the BBS but it is not super noticeable .
The fish need to learn to eat it .It could take weeks ..
I feed my discus Freeze Dried Australian Black worms every day with the BBS and slow sinking 1mm pellets. They have grown well IMO ..
Can I PM you later with a couple pics of my Discus maybe you could tell if they’re males or females, I am interested in breeding them, their color is amazing. Where can I find black worms for sale? I need to feed these guys well. And thanks for your info btw.

coralbandit

The freeze dreid Australian black worms are from Simply Discus .
Al sells them ..They are not cheap ..

As far as sexing NO CLUE !!! You got to see vents or behavior ! Mine just paired and torture the others ..
I started with 10[ 5 pairs of same color] and am at 2 pair breeding no fry yet ,3 dead, and 3 others who lost their color match !
We all talk about the round fish here Discus Gang Updates - Discus Fish 420110
Jump in !

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom