Raising awareness for fish?

1. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Quotes from previous thread^^

Ok, so we all know that with finding dory coming out, there will be a surge of new fish owners, most probably not researching proper care. This is making me want to at least TRY to get something in place, so people can't flush live fish, buy excessive amounts, know about cycling, stuff like that. For me, talking to someone once isn't enough, you can't be sure they read that website you told them to or researched their fish. I have some ideas, and thought maybe you guys could help me?
    - Start more fish clubs
    - Flyers
    - Pamphlets
    - Talk to people in fish stores
    - Help educate employees

Each section below has a blurb about it and some questions.

Fish clubs-
    Advertising that there is a club to talk about fish, their care, maybe have auctions and such might attract more people to learn about fish. This could be a HUGE asset to fish keepers.
    How does one start a club?
    How would I attract people?
    How should I go about this, since I'm only 14?

Flyers-
    Posting them on billboards, telephone poles, getting the word out, even online flyers, all talking about researching fish and possibly advertising an aquarium club?
    What to include?
    Where to put them?
    Would people actually look?

Pamphlets-
    Little information packets on the basics. The nitrogen cycle, good sources, how certain fish can't go with others.
    Where to hand out?
    What to include?

Talking to people-
    Walking up to people in fish stores, asking about their setups and possibly handing out a flyer/pamphlet or two.
    How to approach?
    What to say/ask?

Educating employees-
    This is a great way to pass on info, people are more likely to take an employee seriously than a stranger.
    What to tell them?
    How to approach?

I know this is far fetched, but I hate how fish are viewed as decorations!
    Sorry for the long read.

*Sorry if this isn't an appropriate spot for this mods*

2. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, something you might be able to manage and have people listen to you, see if there are day camps or things along those lines where you could do a few lectures for kids. That might help get some of the message across without adults having a false stigma about your knowledge. Bright pictures and handouts could easily be included with that.

3. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

I like that idea, but what kind of camp? Educational camps? Sorry for all the questions.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think Bithimala means something like a summer camp. I used to go to one when I was a kid. We'd be out for the day but home at night. I think it was more of a break for my parents when school was out;)

5. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

I get that, but what kind of summer camp? Like a nature-ish one? Just trying to find the right one.

Sorry if I've been a little snappy lately, one if my goldfish and 4 of the Mbuna died yesterday, I'm a little upset about it.

6. Aquaphobia

I think any one with general activities! They've got to keep kids busy all day remember;) If there was some way to have a hands on component so the kids aren't just sitting and listening to a lecture about proper fish care you might spark their interest! I don't know what that would look like, maybe lead the kids through an interpretive dance about the nitrogen cycle;D

Sorry to hear about your fish:(

7. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Maybe bring in some of the different betta tail types, talk about how they look completely different in the wild, their natural habitat, maybe a dumbed down coloring page of the nitrogen cycle?

Thank you:)

8. Aquaphobia

I think it will depend on the age group involved and also on whether there's a focus or theme for the group! If it's a nature/environment type of camp then ^that would be perfect, if it's an arts group then maybe my silly interpretive dance idea would work;)

9. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Lol, you don't want to see me dance. I've got two left feet:p

If I do anything, I want to start an aquarium(mostly bettas lol) club. Anyone have ideas?

10. Aquaphobia

Nope!:p I tried to start a hamster enthusiasts group here because they're so poorly cared for but I only had one response to my ad:-\ There's not much of a community here though and pets are seen as disposable. The latest "disposed of" animal, believe it or not, seems to be a hairless Sphynx cat! It doesn't matter how much the animal cost to buy. When they're done with it, they leave it:(

And you don't want to see me dance either. I took bellydance courses trying to develop some appearance of grace and balance. I caught sight of myself in the group practising our moves and I looked like a cardboard cutout:p

11. Bithimala

That is exactly what I was thinking, but I have no idea what you have around you. Where I grew up, the university used to do one. Around here, there are a ton of city run ones.

I'm sorry for your losses :(

12. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Working in retail and being a lover of fish, i have a hard time walking pass the fish tanks.. And having all of my concerns and complaints fall on deaf ears, it makes it extremely frustrating to say the least.

All across the store, it seems ive become the 'Fish Girl'. One day had another employee come to me to help a customer with fish (seeing as no one is "trained" to handle the fish) and I know more about fish than even the dept manager. I'll be the first to tell you.. I am no expert. There are things I know lots about, and others I know absolutely nothing about.
    I ended up telling the customer about FishLore and bagging up a snail and some guppies and telling her more about Nitrogen Cycle and general stocking. Also told her the pet store 45 minutes away would have everything we didnt have..including liquid test kits. Not sure if referring to a different store is against policy but...whatever.
    Anyway, by the end of the encounter, she asked me to "write that website on the bag so I wont forget"
    Whether or not she ever came to FishLore.. maybe we'll see!

Point of this long post..
    To me, that was just a small way of giving information, thus leading her on the path of a healthy tank and a great community.
    Unfortunately there will always be those "They're just fish" people and im surrounded by them.

But I will follow this thread and hopefully gather more ideas on how to get through to people.
    Thank you!!

13. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Fins!
    Not sure this counts as a fish club but since i started out with fish around 8 months ago 2 of my neighbors who visit my home on a daily basis have got the fish bug too!
    I was only sitting watching both of my neighbors talking to my bettas last night and giggling to myself how cute! Both of them have now got fish tanks, thanks to me introducing them to fish. As well as me, they are learning whats best for their fish through this fishlore site! When i joined last month i didn't have a single tank heater, i now have 7 tanks with heaters! Joining here has been a god send for my fish, me and my neighbors. If only more people would join up to sites like these. Perhaps you could do flyers and hand them to your local pet store to give out with fish they sold, that mention sites like this, that would be a start at least?

14. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

That's awesome peacefantasy!
    Sabrina, I would consider that a club lol. I'm hoping to meet at our community center. Now to convince my mom...

15. c

cheese Valued Member Member

if you decide to do a fish awareness club, you could consider finding some used computers or laptops and have a fee to join the meeting by video chat. because I am beyond interested in this as my dream is to own a pet shop that does not give any false information (for example I would NOT sell a starter kit in the box showing 500 neon tetras in a 20 gallon, and selling bettas in heated filtered aquariums rather than betta cups, to advertise a bettas needs, rather than advertising "this fish is alive in 5 drops of water so you can do that too" kind of thing) and I have nothing like this around me...I'd totally Skype the meetings with you guys and I bet some others who share the same interests as you, but can't get to you, would enjoy being able to connect with the club online when you all meet :) just an idea it may be way more work and money for some computers and the Internet but who knows, you'll probably be using the computer and Internet for seminars and what not for the meetings...it could work out :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. SabrinaBrook

There is a program called Team Speak 3. Which in my experience works much better than skype. Its a voice and type only program and you can rent a 10, 20 or 50 people private server. I have been playing an online game for 5 years and have used this program with ease to chat to people all over the world. I have the 20 people private server and i pay $7 dollars a month to have it. Its worth a look and i highly recommend it! Just a thought... :D
    If you need any further info on it please just tag me so i can help out.

17. Bithimala

I would definitely recommend TS over Skype. However, if we're talking about chat programs, we're in the process of swapping over to Discord, and it has a lot of additional functionality that TS doesn't offer. I'd honestly suggest checking that out too.

Honestly Sabrina, you may want to check it out as well (and see if your group - don't want to say guild since not sure what game). It gives you info about what game people are in and all that fun stuff, like I can see that someone is in WoW, D3, etc.

18. SabrinaBrook

Thank you Bithimala,
    I will check it out, though my TS is more for general chat now and not so much gaming anymore. I think getting one together for fish lovers would be awesome! And i would most certainly want to be part of it. :)

19. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Before you try to start a club, check out the existing clubs in your region, such as the Gold Coast Aquarium Society, http://www.gcaquarium.org/. If it is not in your immediate area, get one of your parents to take you. If it's a couple of hours' drive, it is worth it if you are serious. Or check around, there may be other clubs closer. Even if you go to a marine club (several of those in FL), at least you can see what it takes to run a club. And those are the ones who have the most at stake after a movie like this.

Talking to small groups is also a great idea. Many public libraries have summer reading programs, offer to do a program at one of these. Pamphlets are a great idea to had out at such events, but have a couple of experienced people check your pamphlet before distributing.

At 14, you are not going to make much headway trying to talk to store employees. That would probably be a wasted effort.

Many forums used to have chat rooms. That has fallen by the wayside with far more direct means of communication, but I have wondered about the idea of some sort of online meetings. Since I'm not familiar with the newer methods (I don't even text), you would have to work on that with others. The key is setting a schedule and sticking with it.

Enthusiasm is easy to come by, persistence is much tougher.

20. SmilingJocker

SmilingJocker Valued Member Member