Raised scale and possible infection

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MadKing, Jul 25, 2015.

1. MadKing

MadKingNew MemberMember

I was away last Sunday and when I got back my Red Devil x Midas had a raised scale. He's had it for a week now. He started to spit out his food without eating.

Any idea what this is? And how do I treat it?
    I moved him to a hospital tank and added some tetracycline.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I have a link from Tetra that has a few common diseases/problems.

3. OP
    OP
    MadKing

MadKingNew MemberMember

Thank you but that didn't help

4. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

Sorry it was no help but it does have some good references to common diseases. I am wondering if the missing scale is from scratching against something as in a body fluke or some other organism. Bullying as well and the fish tries to move and can run into things.

At this point if the not eating or spiting the food back out is a real concern. May want to use a heavy hitter like Kanaplex to treat the fish. It is very strong but when it comes to diseases, I usually want to use only one medication instead of several milder ones. Others of course may have differing opinions.
    Hope it gets better quickly.

5. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

It could be a developing ulcer or hemorrhage, which you would use different medications for, Kanamycin and Trisulfa respectively. Though if you have a low PH, you would would want to change out kanamycin for Oxytetracycline, unless it develops further and you determine it as columnaris. Tetracycline is ineffective in high PH and light accelerates the breakdown of it. It also should not be combined with other antibiotics treatments.

6. OP
    OP
    MadKing

MadKingNew MemberMember

Oxytetracycline did the job :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice