Raise Kh Without Raising Gh

tjander

Well Known
So, I feel that my KH is lower then I like for my RCS tank. It’s about 4 drops but my GH is like 10. I know adding RO water will lower my GH but won’t it also lower my KH?
So how do I go about lowering my GH and raising my KH at the same time. In my mind 5 and 5 would be about perfect. Also, I need to do this slowly so not to drastically change the PH. Which as we all know is tied to both GH and KH.

Thanks

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
HI there.
Unfortunately, it isn't really possible to raise kH without raising gH, as the kH factors into the gH reading. The gH, general hardness, mainly reads the calcium and magnesium in the water, while the kH is the carbonate and calcium component.

Using RO or DI water would drop the kH and gH, possibly to levels that would kill the shrimp.

5 and 5 for a shrimp tank would actually be a bad thing, as it would mean there are 5 kH and nothing else. This is because the gH reading includes the kH value, so it would only be calcium in the water. That means there is no magnesium or other metals, which is harmful to shrimp as they need the magnesium in order to process calcium into a usable form. I think the best ratio is a 1:4 calcium to magnesium (not necessary for cherry shrimp though, just a general guideline).
Your readings now are fine for cherry shrimp, and changing them is likely to cause a whole lot more problems. If you're not experiencing any issues, there's not reason to make the change.

OP
T

tjander

Well Known
Well I kind of figured that would be the answer. Thanks

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors