Rainbows

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have 4 Rainbows in my community tank, I'm trying to figure out if the fish store had their rainbows mislabled. I had one Turquoise and Australian Rainbow, bought two more Australians but their tail fin is yellow like my turquoise. Could they both be turquoise rainbows or possibly a different sex. I don't have pictures as I'm at work but just thought it was odd they look similar to the Turquoise with the yellowish fins.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
...or what you think are Turquoise Rainbow fish are really something else? I have 12 of them and don't see any yellow fins. Can you post some photos when you get home? I'm not familiar with any rainbowfish other than turquoise, but someone else might be able to help clear it up.

OP
ImpairedFish

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
...or what you think are Turquoise Rainbow fish are really something else? I have 12 of them and don't see any yellow fins. Can you post some photos when you get home? I'm not familiar with any rainbowfish other than turquoise, but someone else might be able to help clear it up.
Will do, about to be off in 20 mins but gotta get some stuff from the LFS, should be home in an hour or so.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know what to tell you. My turquoise rainbows came from two different sources, and none of them have yellow tails like the fish in your pictures. Hopefully someone more experienced with them will see this and have some input.

OP
ImpairedFish

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All good, mine came from two different LFS, maybe someone will chime in

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The one with a clear tail (top fish in first photo) looks like a young male Boesemani. The others I'm not sure about.

OP
ImpairedFish

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GlennO said:
The one with a clear tail (top fish in first photo) looks like a young male Boesemani. The others I'm not sure about.
That's what I have been thinking but the color hasn't come out yet.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ImpairedFish said:
That's what I have been thinking but the color hasn't come out yet.
The colour can take months to intensify but there's enough to suggest that it's a male.

OP
ImpairedFish

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GlennO said:
The colour can take months to intensify but there's enough to suggest that it's a male.
They've doubled in size since I got them, should BoesemanI be in pairs? I thought that's what I've read in the past.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All Rainbowfish should ideally be with others of their own species, preferably a minimum of 5 like most schooling fish. However in the absence of others of their own species they do school or at least interact somewhat with other species of Rainbowfish and some people prefer to keep mixed species. The other disadvantage with this is the possibility of breeding hybrids.

OP
ImpairedFish

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hybrids sounds pretty cool but I'll wait until he gets a little older and order a few females online. Thanks for the information definitely helps. Do the other 3 look like turquoise rainbows?

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ImpairedFish said:
Hybrids sounds pretty cool but I'll wait until he gets a little older and order a few females online. Thanks for the information definitely helps. Do the other 3 look like turquoise rainbows?
No as mentioned the yellow tails indicate that they are some other species (or possibly Turquoise hybrids).

OP
ImpairedFish

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GlennO said:
No as mentioned the yellow tails indicate that they are some other species (or possibly Turquoise hybrids).
Cheers, appreciate your time and knowledge

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if funny being from Australia and people talking about Australian rainbows, when we have many species.

New Threads