Rainbows, puberty, aggression, and tank size

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by fishfisher, Jul 17, 2015.

1. f

fishfisher Valued Member Member

Hello,
    Here's my lowdown. . .
    Current set up:
    29 gal
    aqua clear 70
    Readings:
    Ph-7.8
    No2, No3, NH3/4 -All zero

6 young rainbows (yes, I got miss info about take size req)
    ---2 males 4 females
    ---1 male and poss 1 female in puberty
    ---due to limited supplies the sizes vary from about 1.5ish in to 2.5-3ish
    3 mollies: 1 male 2 females
    1 dwarf gourami

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is my tank too small?
    I have been having aggression problems with the large male. Originally, I had gotten just him with another male, the other male was a nasty bully to my now bully. I ended up trying to tame him with a school but all they had were smaller ones and didn't help. The final straw was when he had the other male pinned directly against the heater. I took him back to petco.... Now the bullyee has become the bullyer. Fortunately this male isn't quite as bad. I have had him for less than a month I even lucked out and found him a girl friend almost his size about a week ago. And he bullies her too. (in pict.) About 80% of the time they hide from him and his territory over the house and that's when he's not 'playing' hide and seek. When first I turn lights off/on, when I'm in front of the tank, and feeding time it's peace. The other male is the smallest and hides most of the time. He doesn't bother any of my other fish. I have tried rearrangement and didn't help. I really enjoy these fish and would like to keep them, but I refuse to let happy and healthy be an option in my tank!
    If I need to take them back I think I have all the receipts but I would really like to make this work.

Any (good) advice would be helpful
    Thanks

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

What species of rainbows are they? The more common boesmani needs something like a 55 gallon because of this exact problem. They are much too active to be in a 29 and aggression problems will come up.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    They're not boesemanis, but they are australian rainbows which do need a 55.....

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

With that, I would either buy a new tank asap, or re-home them.

5. OP
    OP
    f

I kinda figured. I still have the receipts and are still able to take them back although I know how unhealthy petco/smart tanks are. Anybody in Palm Beach County Florida know where a good lfs is? Everyone I have found here are marine.

6. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and returned them. The window to return was almost closed so I went ahead. I really do like rainbows so I'll look into the dwarfs.

Any good freshwater lfs in south Florida? I'm willing to drive.

7. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Allpets Emporium in Miami is crazy nice as well as Beverlys. They are in Hialiah area I believe. At Allpets..It was like a candy store in there for me. Beautiful tank set ups and the plant display is 2nd to none! I visited them when I had to go to Miami for business. It was like going into Bass Pro shops for the first time. You know...jaw drops..smile appears...excitement builds! You know!!

8. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for the information. I also found the planted aquarium.   they had a good selection of freshwater. The place isn't fancy, but everybody looked healthy. And sales lady seemed knowledgeable.

I'm in summer college finals mode so my responses are going to be sporadic at best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I think having dwarf rainbows in a 29gal is pushing it. That is just me, but Rainbowfish have a lot of aggression that people don't talk about that much. Looks like you made the right choice on returning them back to the fish store.

11. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks for the advice. I am learning that with big personalities (usually ) comes big aggression. I had to put my male molly in fish jail because even after I got him two more girls he wouldn't leave the old flame alone. So, hopefully after 2 days of total solitary confinement he has calmed down or just wore himself out enough to see straight. I have him in a hang on box (with an air/water pump ) and had to block off his line of sight because he would go nuts every time he saw her.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Genobreaker

Genobreaker Well Known Member Member

If you could find them, maybe Pygmy rainbows might work. I think they only get 2 inches max.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice