Rainbowish Guppies

Sean Smith

hey , I have crossbreed a female red delta tail with a wild guppy male . Then took the best male from that and bred it with a female blue delta tail guppy. Is it possible to make your own strain of fancy guppies, and if so , how do you register it as yours ? I'll send pics of them soon.

Sean Smith

They are only a few months old . So they still have three more months before I'm fully able to tell what they will completely look like .

Bruxes and Bubbles

It's possible, but hard. You'd have to breed a lot of generations that breed pure each time.

Sean Smith

Yeah I figured that they would have to breed true . Can't wait till the sixth month so I can choose the best ones and see if they do breed true . But if they do breed true . How do I register it as my strain and what's your opinion for if I could get people interested in these rainbowish guppies. I personally like all the colors popping out but I know my tastes arnt much what most hobbiests like . They like patterns with very defined colors typically . So I'm not sure if these would get any popularity at all .

Bruxes and Bubbles

Sean Smith said:
Yeah I figured that they would have to breed true . Can't wait till the sixth month so I can choose the best ones and see if they do breed true . But if they do breed true . How do I register it as my strain and what's your opinion for if I could get people interested in these rainbowish guppies. I personally like all the colors popping out but I know my tastes arnt much what most hobbiests like . They like patterns with very defined colors typically . So I'm not sure if these would get any popularity at all .
Not sure how you'd register it specifically. You'd have to breed a few generations until you had no throwbacks for a while I know - not just one or two.

I think they're pretty.

Sean Smith

Yeah I think I'd have to have a couple years of generations to count it as breeding true . But cool . Thanks . I'm happy with the result of them . I just wanted to make a pretty guppy that was also very hardy from gene diversity

Sean Smith

But I'm also going to take a very strict breeding guideline so I can keep that hardiness and not let them become weak again like most fancy guppies

fjh

Not sure how to register it, but it is certainly possible and will probably gain popularity. I know within the last few years there's a cobra delta tail strain who's tail has 3 colors in it: yellow to orange to red. Sometime of the lower quality ones also show a bit of green. Its become very popular. So I think if you can breed a rainbow breed or one showing red/purple/blue would also gain popularity.

Here's a pic I took of one I took of the strain I was talking about. Sorry for the poor quality, the shop's lighting didn't exactly lend itself to picturetaking, but you can kinda see what I'm talking about.

Sean Smith

I have a lfs that sells a few of those

emeraldking

Sean Smith said:

They are only a few months old . So they still have three more months before I'm fully able to tell what they will completely look like .
If it's even possible to register them as an own strain, I do have to say that the name rainbow guppy wouldn't be so original anymore. This name has been used for several kinds of guppies already.
How they look in these pics, they show me a platinum guppy. And to be honest, guppies with this appearance are already present. Maybe you could add something to it, so it will appear a bit different.

Sean Smith

Could you show me pics then . I've looked and haven't found any registered breed of guppybto look like mine

Charlotte Walker

Sean Smith said:

They’re so pretty!!! You could call them iridescent or metallic rainbow guppies, both those things are very popular right now.

emeraldking

Yours are a kind of similar to these platinum orangetails from Kenjiro Tanaka. My apologies for the bit blurry pics. Just some fast taken snapshots of them.

These are grey and blonde bodied specimens. Just like yours, they look like platinum tuxedos.

Sean Smith

They are fairly similar . But mine seem to show more wild guppy in the body . Fins are exact though almost

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom