Rainbowfish With Swim Bladder?

1. T

ThatGuyWithAnEel New Member Member

My Madagascar Rainbowfish has been almost twitching/bending at his midsection instead of swimming, it almost looks like he forgot how to use his tail fin. He's also clearly having buoyancy issues. From my experience it seems like swim bladder, but I'm not positive.
    Last night I did introduce a new canister filter to the the tank and the behavior started this morning, so I am concerned that this could be the issue. I did rinse off all the new pieces before hooking up the new filter and all of my other fish are doing fine.
    My water tests last night came out with 0 nitrates, .25ppm nitrites, .25 ammonia, 6.6 ph.
    Any info is greatly appreciated, he's a gorgeous fish I aquired only a month or so ago

2. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Given your levels I would do a 75% water ASAP. High levels of ammonia and nitrites are harmful. I've had experienced swimbladder problems with nitrites present so I believe that is what made the fish sick. Is your tank fully cycled?

3. OP
    OP
    T

ThatGuyWithAnEel New Member Member

Yes, it's had healthy fish in it for at least 6 months

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Your levels indicate to me a un cycled tank or a dead fish. Ammonia that high for more then 48 hrs can start killing beneficial bacteria. Prime and stability will fix this in no time. As for your fish keep water good and he may survivor.

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I would not buy Prime or Stability. That sounds like a water change issue. Save the money and follow @musserump09 's advice.

Then have a look at the water change routine - ammonia should not have climbed like that if you were doing weekly water maintenance.

If you have not changed water for weeks, do a series of 25% changes spread over 3 days. If your water is low in minerals (a 6.6 pH is lovely, but could be a sign of acidification if the tap is a higher pH) a radical change will throw everything into a danger zone, so a more cautious approach is called for. Monthly water changes can be deadly, while weekly ones are wonderful.