Rainbowfish with bulging eye?

StinkyLoaf

Woke up this morning to see a neon rainbowfish with a pink, swollen eye. These are the best pictures I could get:
20210510_072059.jpg
20210510_071925.jpg
She is eating and swimming as usual; no difference in behaviour. Any idea of what it could be and how to treat it? Thanks.

Edit: I think it might be exopthalmia. It's only affecting one eye on one fish so it might be from an injury rather than poor water chemistry.

pagoda

Yes! I’m relaxed by my airstone. She sometimes complains she can hear it through her wall! :D

Just set up the ice cubes all treated with Prime. I also stuck a “DO NOT EAT” sign onto the tray in case some greedy soul tries to eat them, i.e. myself. :smug:

Mine aren't airstones.....its spraybars running off external filters with the spray breaking the surface of the water literally like a fountain.....sounds like a constantly running tap :D

Give the ice cubes a go when its warmest...around lunchtime/afternoon. They will disperse slowly and cool the water very little but it all helps....and the fish may well headbutt them too especially when they get caught in the filter flow or airstones

Upvote 0

StinkyLoaf

The temperature is still 27⁰C. Something strange is happening that's keeping the tank from staying cool. Perhaps I should turn the heater down by a bit more.

How many ice cubes should I add at a time? I think they're almost ready. I might add some to keep them cool during the night and I'll definitely add some tomorrow as it'll be hot.

I'm going to do some reading on what causes temperature spikes as I need to find the root of the problem.

Upvote 0

StinkyLoaf

My sister was at a sleepover last night so I kept her window open and kept the filter at a higher setting. I also went and added two ice cubes. The temperature has dropped to what looks like something between 25-26°C, so I’m getting closer to my goal of 24°C. I’m keeping the tank light off today to see if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Turn the heaters off. The lowest they will go to is around 23 when the weather is warm. Mine have been off for the last few days, along with the lights...temps not gone below 23 even overnight

Upvote 0

StinkyLoaf

Turn the heaters off. The lowest they will go to is around 23 when the weather is warm. Mine have been off for the last few days, along with the lights...temps not gone below 23 even overnight
Right now it’s 12°C over here, so it’s not very warm. Should I wait for the day to warm up? According to the weather forecast it’s gonna be 21°C at the highest and around that for most of the day. Nighttime will be 12°C at the lowest.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Right now it’s 12°C over here, so it’s not very warm. Should I wait for the day to warm up? According to the weather forecast it’s gonna be 21°C at the highest and around that for most of the day. Nighttime will be 12°C at the lowest.

Room temp and outside is not the issue here really, its aquarium temp that you are concerned about.

Turning everything off doesn't drop aquarium temp instantly, it takes around 8 hours to drop a couple degrees, by which time the warmth of the day will be there and will maintain the aquarium temp at around 23 or 24 right through the next few days/nights cos heat holds in water, it doesn't dive to nothing instantaneously.

If temps outside/at home in the room where the aquariums are drops to 10 or less, put the heaters back on at a lower setting...22 will be fine...then as the day warms up, the heater will not be so active and residual room temp will keep the temp inside the aquarium up.

This is why I use the Fluval 2 in 1 thermometers on all my aquariums...gives the aquarium and room temp on same digital readout. I adapt the settings accordingly...either turning heaters off or dropping the settings to compensate for the change in weather/room temp.

Upvote 0

StinkyLoaf

Room temp and outside is not the issue here really, its aquarium temp that you are concerned about.

Turning everything off doesn't drop aquarium temp instantly, it takes around 8 hours to drop a couple degrees, by which time the warmth of the day will be there and will maintain the aquarium temp at around 23 or 24 right through the next few days/nights cos heat holds in water, it doesn't dive to nothing instantaneously.

If temps outside/at home in the room where the aquariums are drops to 10 or less, put the heaters back on at a lower setting...22 will be fine...then as the day warms up, the heater will not be so active and residual room temp will keep the temp inside the aquarium up.

This is why I use the Fluval 2 in 1 thermometers on all my aquariums...gives the aquarium and room temp on same digital readout. I adapt the settings accordingly...either turning heaters off or dropping the settings to compensate for the change in weather/room temp.
Thank you. :D I’ll turn the heater off and keep a close eye.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom