Rainbowfish with bulging eye? - Page 2

Ouse

Woke up this morning to see a neon rainbowfish with a pink, swollen eye. These are the best pictures I could get:

20210510_072059.jpg

20210510_071925.jpg
She is eating and swimming as usual; no difference in behaviour. Any idea of what it could be and how to treat it? Thanks.

Edit: I think it might be exopthalmia. It's only affecting one eye on one fish so it might be from an injury rather than poor water chemistry.

Ouse

I have to keep the light upside down so it’s not too bright on the tank. I also do this with my betta tank (also Superfish). If I flip them back then diatoms and spot algae become quick to form.

I think my Superfish heater came broken. It always read 28°C despite being set to 25°C. I don’t suppose I’ll use their products again.

The new heater is an Interpet Delta Therm. I like those. I’m thinking of getting two new thermometers because I have four tanks but only two thermometers, so the tanks have to share them around.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I think my Superfish heater came broken. It always read 28°C despite being set to 25°C. I don’t suppose I’ll use their products again.

Frankly: Unless you can calibrate them yourself (Hello, Eheim) I have NEVER had a heater work on the scale of the dial. As long as you know how much the difference between the dial and the actual temp is, it's fine.

Upvote 0

pagoda

My JBL S ProTemp heaters are (frantically touches wood) very reliable and I like them cos they have a guard that comes with them too which helps prevent any singed fins by heater hugging BN's etc. Set to 25 and so far in over 18 months they only go 0.5 over that, and thats only when the sun is out - one aquarium is infront of a window with a curtain permanently closed behind it and the glass is anti UV screened and the temp still stays where I set it. Thermometer wise I use the Fluval 2 in 1 on every aquarium, gives the aquarium temp and the room temp, also very accurate (room temp on the Fluval matches both digital and old school thermometers elsewhere in the rooms). I tend to replace heaters at 2 years old even if they are working fine, the old ones go into the cupboard after cleaning as spares cos you can never be too careful.

Interpet's Delta Therm heaters do have a good reputation and they don't break the bank like some heaters. They are well made and tbh if you are happy with them, then stick by them. I use exactly the same equipment in all my aquariums, same filter, same heater, same light unit, same bottled water, same sand...boring most probably but they work for me and most importantly they work for the fish.

Upvote 0

Ouse

I just did the weekly 50% water change on this tank. Whilst doing it I checked the temperature of the water and it read 27°C, so I turned the heater down to 22°C (it was on 24°C). When I got the heater the dial matched the temperature it would regulate, but there’s a 3°C difference now.

It has been very warm this week and will continue to be; 23-25°C weather. This might have caused it but I’m wondering if a lid with little ventilation or the heater recalibrating itself is the culprit for the temperature rise instead. What gives?

Upvote 0

pagoda

I have turned off my heaters whilst the weather is warm. Base temp in my flat is 26 and the aquariums are all around 23 to 24 (heaters set to 25 and water was climbing to 26 or so with heaters thanks to a slow cool down once the heaters went off)

Upvote 0

Ouse

My sister isn’t home right now so checking on her tank will be easy. If the temperature doesn’t drop then I might have to lower the heater setting according to the room temperature. This would mean fiddling with the dial quite often.

As with turning the heater off I might disturb my sister because she almost never leaves her room. Then there’s getting shouted at for “panicking.” The temperature is very erratic in the UK as you probably already know, so I’d have to watch the temperature really carefully to regulate the temperature in this way, turning the heater on and off several times a day.

It’s not even that hot now; it’s 14°C but the tank is still 27°C, so I doubt the weather is the culprit. The thermometer reads a slightly higher temperature than what I read earlier.

Here are the only other factors I can think of:

- Lowering the current: my sister makes me turn the filter output down at night because the quiet sound of good surface agitation stops her from sleeping. So annoying. I would easily sleep through it and any normal person would. The surface agitation still ok; no issues with oxygen. I’ve been keeping it low even during the day so I’m not woke up every night to turn it down. This temperature spike began around the time I began been keeping it this low. My sister should learn that the fish’s desires are far more important than hers, but she shows no interest in fish.

- The lid: there are some slits in the lid to allow air through but the lid is quite tight fitting and I’m not sure if the slits are enough to keep the tank cool.

- The heater: I haven’t had it for long but something is already wrong with the temperature again. Perhaps the heater’s output is becoming different to what the dial reads, which is what happened to the last heater. It’s 50w as opposed to the previous heater which is 100w, so maybe it’s too small? The packaging did say that 100w is better for a 15 gallon and 50w is for 5-10 gallons but everything was going fine until now.

- Temp matching: maybe the temperature is high because I temp match wrong when changing water. Although the reading was high before the water change it has slightly risen since, so maybe the water I added in was too warm, encouraging it to rise more.

- The heater is at a 45° angle: setting it this way is advised on the packaging but this is the only tank where the heater isn’t straight up. There might be a correlation here. Probably not.

I can’t think of anything else. Could my guesses be right? Does anyone know other causes for temperature spikes than warm weather?

I think I’ve reached a point of helplessness and this problem will never go away.

I’m about ready to give up on this tank. If I had a choice I would find the fish somewhere else to live and throw the tank away. My sister pays zero attention to it despite being so picky about it. I’m the only person in the house who touches it, let alone even looks at it, yet most of the time I’m not allowed near it. I get shouted at when I enter the room and my sister doesn’t like it when I try to maintain the tank. I can’t get everything to work at once for some reason; it’s just impossible. It’s a huge waste and I don’t see benefits to keeping it. The fish probably hate it because they’re so skittish. If I make one small move they get scared.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Put some dechlorinated water in ice cube trays into the freezer and throw cubes into the aquariums as required...cools it down slowly, doesn't bother fish or sister...

Maybe trade sister in for something more useful?

Upvote 0

Ouse

Put some dechlorinated water in ice cube trays into the freezer and throw cubes into the aquariums as required...cools it down slowly, doesn't bother fish or sister...
Good idea! I’ll try it. I have ice trays already. :)
Maybe trade sister in for something more useful?
Wouldn’t be necessary if she would care about her fish. If you heard how little noise the filter makes you’d be baffled she can’t sleep through it!

Upvote 0

pagoda

Good idea! I’ll try it. I have ice trays already. :)

Wouldn’t be necessary if she would care about her fish. If you heard how little noise the filter makes you’d be baffled she can’t sleep through it!

She would hate my filters then...waterfall in each room, including two...one on either side of the bed....very relaxing it is too :p

Upvote 0

Ouse

She would hate my filters then...waterfall in each room, including two...one on either side of the bed....very relaxing it is too :p
Yes! I’m relaxed by my airstone. She sometimes complains she can hear it through the wall! :D

Just set up the ice cubes all treated with Prime. I also stuck a “DO NOT EAT” sign onto the tray in case some greedy soul tries to eat them, i.e. myself. :smug:

Upvote 0

pagoda

Yes! I’m relaxed by my airstone. She sometimes complains she can hear it through her wall! :D

Just set up the ice cubes all treated with Prime. I also stuck a “DO NOT EAT” sign onto the tray in case some greedy soul tries to eat them, i.e. myself. :smug:

Mine aren't airstones.....its spraybars running off external filters with the spray breaking the surface of the water literally like a fountain.....sounds like a constantly running tap :D

Give the ice cubes a go when its warmest...around lunchtime/afternoon. They will disperse slowly and cool the water very little but it all helps....and the fish may well headbutt them too especially when they get caught in the filter flow or airstones

Upvote 0

Ouse

The temperature is still 27⁰C. Something strange is happening that's keeping the tank from staying cool. Perhaps I should turn the heater down by a bit more.

How many ice cubes should I add at a time? I think they're almost ready. I might add some to keep them cool during the night and I'll definitely add some tomorrow as it'll be hot.

I'm going to do some reading on what causes temperature spikes as I need to find the root of the problem.

Upvote 0

Ouse

My sister was at a sleepover last night so I kept her window open and kept the filter at a higher setting. I also went and added two ice cubes. The temperature has dropped to what looks like something between 25-26°C, so I’m getting closer to my goal of 24°C. I’m keeping the tank light off today to see if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Turn the heaters off. The lowest they will go to is around 23 when the weather is warm. Mine have been off for the last few days, along with the lights...temps not gone below 23 even overnight

Upvote 0

Ouse

Turn the heaters off. The lowest they will go to is around 23 when the weather is warm. Mine have been off for the last few days, along with the lights...temps not gone below 23 even overnight
Right now it’s 12°C over here, so it’s not very warm. Should I wait for the day to warm up? According to the weather forecast it’s gonna be 21°C at the highest and around that for most of the day. Nighttime will be 12°C at the lowest.

Upvote 0

pagoda

Right now it’s 12°C over here, so it’s not very warm. Should I wait for the day to warm up? According to the weather forecast it’s gonna be 21°C at the highest and around that for most of the day. Nighttime will be 12°C at the lowest.

Room temp and outside is not the issue here really, its aquarium temp that you are concerned about.

Turning everything off doesn't drop aquarium temp instantly, it takes around 8 hours to drop a couple degrees, by which time the warmth of the day will be there and will maintain the aquarium temp at around 23 or 24 right through the next few days/nights cos heat holds in water, it doesn't dive to nothing instantaneously.

If temps outside/at home in the room where the aquariums are drops to 10 or less, put the heaters back on at a lower setting...22 will be fine...then as the day warms up, the heater will not be so active and residual room temp will keep the temp inside the aquarium up.

This is why I use the Fluval 2 in 1 thermometers on all my aquariums...gives the aquarium and room temp on same digital readout. I adapt the settings accordingly...either turning heaters off or dropping the settings to compensate for the change in weather/room temp.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Room temp and outside is not the issue here really, its aquarium temp that you are concerned about.

Turning everything off doesn't drop aquarium temp instantly, it takes around 8 hours to drop a couple degrees, by which time the warmth of the day will be there and will maintain the aquarium temp at around 23 or 24 right through the next few days/nights cos heat holds in water, it doesn't dive to nothing instantaneously.

If temps outside/at home in the room where the aquariums are drops to 10 or less, put the heaters back on at a lower setting...22 will be fine...then as the day warms up, the heater will not be so active and residual room temp will keep the temp inside the aquarium up.

This is why I use the Fluval 2 in 1 thermometers on all my aquariums...gives the aquarium and room temp on same digital readout. I adapt the settings accordingly...either turning heaters off or dropping the settings to compensate for the change in weather/room temp.
Thank you. :D I’ll turn the heater off and keep a close eye.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FrillyLily
Replies
Views
Cue
Replies
Views
RJsFishes
  • Question