Rainbowfish spinal deformity - will he be okay?

GrouchyGuppies

I just brought 6 fork-tailed rainbowfish from Maidenhead aquatics and on getting them home discovered that one of the males has an awful spinal deformity. Will he be okay and is there anything I can do? I feel so sorry for him. He seems just as active as the others.

20191208_162901.jpg

Also, would anybody with more experience than me be able to tell me if I have 2 males here? I asked for 2 males and 4 females, and when I got out of the shop I checked quickly and it seemed fine. Now I'm not sure, I think the one with the bad spine is a male but is the other yellow one male or female? Let me know if a better picture is needed, this is the only one I could get with most of them facing sideways.
20191208_164345.jpg

GrouchyGuppies

20191209_081328.jpg

AcuarioAmazonico

Oh wow I have never seen a deformity as bad as that. How did they bag that and then charge you at the register without noticing!

I’d say go back to the store and ask for a replacement male. They’d probably let you keep the bent one too if you can care for him - they’ll just destroy it (not sure if that’s necessary but my word he looks bad).

Cost is not the issue - it’s principle. They shouldn’t be selling you a fish like that.

Deku-Cory

I agree with Acuario, definitely show these pictures to the store. It's possible they could have somehow overlooked it, but regardless it's not right that they charged you for him.

If the little guy is active and isn't being bullied, then you can just let him be. He made it this far, after all. If the deformity caused him major issues he wouldn't have survived to this point.

GrouchyGuppies

Thank you, I will definitely try to get back as soon as possible and let them know. He's really active so I think he will be okay, I'm just hoping all his organs are where they're supposed to be and he isn't in any pain. He seems fine so far though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ankatic
Replies
Views
hollie1505
Replies
Views
Shannon108
Replies
Views