Rainbowfish, rasboras, barbs, loaches... how many of each?

1. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Hi all,

I've just started up a new Top Fin 20 this month, currently cycling with three gold barbs and about a dozen plants of various sizes. My numbers so far are looking good, but I'm not rushing into adding more fish yet... but I am trying to come up with a stocking plan that makes me and the kiddos happy. What do you all think about these fish together, and how many of each? This is what I'm considering:

3 Dwarf neon (Praecox) rainbowfish (1 male, 2 female)
    4 Gold barbs
    5 Harlequin rasboras
    2 Kuhli loaches

If I was going to drop one from the list, it would be the rasboras, although they are so pretty and fun to watch! I have my heart absolutely set on the Melanotaenia-type rainbowfish, but have read that the bigger ones are too big for my tank, so it looks like the praecox are my best bet. I already have several gold barbs and love them, and my son thinks kuhli loaches are "creepy" so he wants them! I also like the idea of sticking with fish from one region of the world, and these are all from Southeast Asia and nearby islands.

I'm hoping that my plants will fill in, and, along with my current filter, keep water quality good. Also planning on weekly water changes (10-20%). But I'm willing to upgrade my filter or add a second one down the road as the fish grow to adulthood, if filtration becomes an issue.

Thanks for any input!

Lori

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Is this a 20g long or tall?

And welcome to FL

3. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Thanks! :) And, sorry, a 20g tall. That's all I can fit in our house right now! I SO wanted Boesemani or turquoise rainbows, but have heard they need a 4-foot-long tank. So I'm leaning towards the dwarf rainbows instead.

4. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

So I've been working on stocking my tank (fully cycled at this point). I have three gold barbs, three dwarf neon rainbowfish, and two kuhli loaches in there right now. I was afraid such a small number of kuhlis would hide all day, but at least one of them is out and about at feeding time every morning! I know these are not big schools, but I have young children, a small house, and they want variety--so I'm trying to provide that without a dozen different species of fish! So far, everyone seems to be getting along. I would like to fill out the rainbowfish school and add a few harlequin rasboras, which would bring my stocking to:

3 gold barbs (the smaller variety, not the big ones)
    6 dwarf neon rainbowfish
    3 harlequin rasboras
    3 kuhli loaches

Does this seem reasonable? Could I add more kuhlis or rasboras...?