Rainbowfish - Pseudomugil Gertrudae

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Anyone have experience with these Rainbowfish? I'm just wanting to check on their temperament and tank requirements/compatibility.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
- best with other nano, peaceful fish. They can be a little shy, good hiding places would be a good idea.

- very peaceful, big groups are a must

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Very peaceful fish .
One of the really beautiful blue eyes ..
I kept them maybe 5 years ago when I introduced my LFS to them and they ordered them special for me .
Even the owner said they were hot and ended up taking the ones I did not to his own personal home tank !
They should be other nano fish as aussie dude said .

Leja

I have Pseudomugil sp. 'red neon' and they are also shy. My LFS only had two in the stock, but I ordered more. Currently I have them with green neon tetra, chilI rasbora and Lampeye killi. They all school fine together without any issue so far. Lately I only see one of the Pseudomugil sp. 'red neon', even during feeding. Lets see if it is out today. Tomorrow I will get more from LFS.
Very peaceful fish!

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
aussieJJDude said:
- best with other nano, peaceful fish. They can be a little shy, good hiding places would be a good idea.

- very peaceful, big groups are a must
How big of a group?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Always get at least two males. If you are using a tank bigger than 10 gallons, get at least three. Females can be 3-6, but the males display for one another more than they do for the females.

Floating plants always make them more comfortable. My favorite with these Blue Eyes is a raft of Riccia fluitans. They will spawn into this, and the fry will come out when they get big enough to feel safe.

Leja , the Red Neon was described in 2016 as Pseudomugil luminatus. Another favorite of mine. I had a large raft of Riccia with two pairs of these in a 10, inside of a month I was seeing fry at the surface near the plants. A few weeks later I had a lot more young adults.

OP
Addictedtobettas

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
julkosi17 said:
I was thinking of getting rainbow fish, but would they be okay with my male betta in a 10 gallon?
From what I understand, yes.
I am particularly interested in these rainbow fish because they have been described as exceptionally mellow companions.
It also depends on your Betta.

QCAquaholic

Addictedtobettas said:
From what I understand, yes.
I am particularly interested in these rainbow fish because they have been described as exceptionally mellow companions.
It also depends on your Betta.
Then it should work in my 20 gallon too!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Not sure I would trust a Betta around the long filaments of the Blue Eyes' fins. If you try it, keep a close watch on them!

julifhy

Well Known
chromedome52 said:
Not sure I would trust a Betta around the long filaments of the Blue Eyes' fins. If you try it, keep a close watch on them!
Yeah I don’t know if I’ll go with the rainbow fish. I put my finger in my betta’s tank to if he’ll react and he attacked it. Maybe he thought if was food, but I definitely didn’t expect him to do that. He also started circling around my finger like a shark lol. It was really cute though :)

New Threads