Rainbowfish In 33

bruh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 33 gallon, 32 inches long, and other then Preacox rainbows, what could I keep in it. I've heard wildly different tank sizes on alot of websites, so I wanted to get an experienced opinion.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There's a couple varients of Boesemani that stay relatively small, about 3-4 inches, that you may consider. You can usually tell by the very dark vibrant colors when they are in breeding mood. Though typically the bigger and less-vibrant varient seems to be more commercially available.

Otherwise, you could consider featherfins or furcatas which are much smaller than praecox. If you were planning to do a community then you would have to do careful research if you consider the featherfins or furcata.

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're interested in the blue eyes, you could have a good sized school of Fork Tail Rainbows, and they look aweseome!

bruh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There's a couple varients of Boesemani that stay relatively small, about 3-4 inches, that you may consider. You can usually tell by the very dark vibrant colors when they are in breeding mood. Though typically the bigger and less-vibrant varient seems to be more commercially available.

Otherwise, you could consider featherfins or furcatas which are much smaller than praecox. If you were planning to do a community then you would have to do careful research if you consider the featherfins or furcata.
I'm pretty interested in the more 'rainbowfish' looking rainbowfish. Things like Praecox rainbows, and bosemanis.

How many bosemanis could I fit in a tank this size, if any? What male to femal ratio?

Also, do you have any expirience with Kamaka and Red Laser Rainbowfish? Could they fit in a tank this size?

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have experience with those, but they seem to be on the smaller side in terms of Rainbowfish. Kamakas (M. kamaka) get to about 3" if that, and Wapoga Red Lasers (M. rubrivittata) stay roughly the same as Dwarf Neons (M. praecox).

You could probably do 2-3 schools of 6 if you wanted to, or you could do one big school. If you do schools of 6, you could do 1:1 ratio of male-to-female. Anymore, try to do more females than males. Any less then you may find better success just sticking to one gender. Dawn and dusk when rainbows get into breeding mood, they harass the females quite a bit and it could be overbearing if there's not enough to spread the harassment.

If you do Boesemani, see if you can figure out if their ancestors were collected from Aitinjo, Ajamaru, or Uter and those should be the true Boesemani that stay smaller than 4". I think it was a hybridized Boesemani that gets larger with less-vibrant colors that I see get distributed around. If you can't figure it out then it might be better to avoid the boesemani.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom